Chickens at Pet Stores?

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by AngryHippie, Oct 26, 2008.

1. AngryHippie

AngryHippie Out Of The Brooder

Sep 9, 2008
    I have a very odd question. Does anyone know of any pet shop anywhere in the US that sells either baby chicks or full grown hens or roosters year round. The reason I ask is because my city's code reads as follows:

Exotic Animals. No person shall own, harbor, keep, breed, sell or import any exotic animal within any zoning district. The term "exotic animal" shall mean any wild animal not indigenous to Ohio or any reptile not indigenous to Ohio. (Examples: lions, tigers, elephants, alligators, crocodiles, etc.) Additionally, omnivorous and carnivorous Ohio species such as bear, deer, elk, wolves, coyote, fox, turkey, lynx, and bobcat are deemed exotic. Any animal that is commonly sold by a bona fide commercial pet shop is permitted.

So if I can find a shop selling chicks year round, I can say that they are sold by a pet shop.

2. Trollkiller

Trollkiller Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2008
    Lake Como, Fl. 32157
    Wait until Easter time and you should be able to find dyed chicks at a local pet store.

3. AngryHippie

Sep 9, 2008
    Well, I already own 2 hens, I'm not looking to purchase them so much as I'm currently in a battle with the city over whether or not I can keep mine. I am just hoping to have a documented pet store when I go to the appeal meeting Tuesday.

4. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

If they are allowed they will be available at a feed store....

5. AngryHippie

Sep 9, 2008
    Quote:Yeah, but a feed store isn't a pet store.

6. Nifty-Chicken

Nifty-Chicken Administrator Staff Member

I thought all the ones in my area of CA only sold during Spring... come to find out that one just 15 miles south sell them year round. I'd say open up the phone book or do a search online for feed stores and start calling. If they don't, ask them who does. Shouldn't take more than 30 mins. of calling to have a solid answer.

7. debilorrah

Nifty is right. Ours sell them year round. Also, why would a feed store sell them if they were illegal? Right?

8. AngryHippie

Sep 9, 2008
    my county is 75% farm land, but I live in the city where they are attempting to say that I'm conducting Animal Husbandry by simply owning them. I'm hoping if I can find a "pet store" that sells them rather then a "feed store" that I can say that they can be pets and not used for agriculture.

9. debilorrah

Where are you?

10. AngryHippie

Sep 9, 2008
    Quote:Troy, OH

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by