Chickens at the back door?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jforsness, Jan 25, 2009.

1. jforsness

jforsness Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    I'm sitting inside right now and it's snowing in Seattle. Well, I hear a knockin' at the back door and there are the 3 B's. Have others spoiled there birds to the point that they knock at the door at the first sign of foul weather? [​IMG]

2. BlueLagoonRabbitry

BlueLagoonRabbitry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2009
    Western Iowa
    Thats cute and funny how mcuh fun.

3. Master S.M.C

Master S.M.C Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2009
    Maryland
    They might not be cold hardy or just looking for food. Your door my have looked interesting.

4. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    My ducks have been hanging out by the patio door. It's warmer there [​IMG]

5. Namaste Mama

Namaste Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2008
    AZ
    [​IMG] My Barred Rock will come and knock at the door when she wants treats. Once one of the chickens fell in the pool and I have two of my RIR's pecking frantically at my door to have me come out and rescue the victim. I was quite amazed. Who ever said chickens are stupid are so wrong!

6. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    Same here! I call it "year-round chick-or-treating". [​IMG]

7. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I got a door mat for my kitchen door that says "Welcome! Close the door....before the chickens get in!"
    It's not only cute, it's the truth! Leave the door open for longer than it takes you to get in and you'll be followed in by a bunch of chickens. They'd love to include my refrigerator in their free range area.

8. moduckman

moduckman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2009
    Cairo, Missouri
    When we a several turkeys in the spring, I will let them out of the pen to roam the yard. DW blew a gasket on more than one occassion when the younger turkeys climbed the stairs to the deck and looked at the reflection in the sliding door. That was cute, but the mess they left behind is what got me in trouble.[​IMG]

9. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    A few of our orpingtons come to our sliding glass door and peck at it. My wife made the mistake of giving them raisins one day from inside the door.

10. Barn Maid Ann

Barn Maid Ann Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2008
    Punta Gorda, FL
    Here are my guineas at the back door (begging). We don't have them any more, but weather permitting, the chickens come almost daily to ask for a handout. I must have a pic around here somewhere...

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by