1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chickens ate aluminum pie plate!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sweetpeep, Jan 9, 2009.

1. sweetpeep

sweetpeep New Egg

Oct 6, 2008
    Since giving birth 6 weeks ago, I have been allowing my husband and roommate to take care of our chickens. sometimes we bring them treats in an aluminum pie plate - the kind that come with pre-made pie crusts. Occasionally they get left in there for a while, which has never been a problem before. However, I checked on them for the first time in a while yesterday and found one EATING a piece of a pie plate, and discovered that another half of the plate appears to have already been consumed (by one chicken or all I'm not sure).

First, I'm concerned about the chickens. It's possible this has been going on for a while and they all seem fine, so they're probably eating tiny pieces and then pooping them out. However, I'm also concerned whether the eggs might be contaminated with aluminum - especially since I have a 3-year-old and a breast-fed newborn. Any thoughts?

thank you!

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

The pie pan should go right though, I don't think that they will make it into the eggs, as the albumins and proteins made in the body probably don't have much aluminum in it. Eating the meat may be different though.

Are you sure the birds ate the pan? I know they love styrofoam if they can get their hands on it, but haven't run across them going for pie tins as I've used those as dishes too. However, I have seen rat and mouse chewed on tins...

3. coopsgirl

coopsgirl Out Of The Brooder

Jul 13, 2008
    yep, done the same thing, and they ate the pan, wasnt expecting that one......... [​IMG]

i jsut kept an eye ont hem for a few days, just like with a puppy.... watch out for retrievers they will eat anything..... [​IMG]

been an epidemic this week....
    first the chickens then the golden then the black lab.... ugh!! rambling sorry......
    my girls were fine.... good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by