1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chickens ate an egg

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by barbara26, Sep 1, 2016.

1. barbara26

barbara26 Just Hatched

Aug 27, 2016
    One of my Altsteirer hens started laying two days ago. Yesterday I went to look for an egg and saw that they were eating an eggshell. The eggshell was very thin. I took it from them, but then I saw that the egg yolk and the egg white were in the corner and the rooster and one of the pullets were eating it.

Do you think that they will keep doing it, now that they tasted it?) I already offered them mustard egg and they ate half of the eggshell, but they didn't ate the other half of the eggshell and the mustard. Is there anything else I can do?

(sorry for bad English, it's not my native language)

2. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Mustard only makes a mess....don't bother with it.

Eating thin or softshell eggs is pretty normal and will not necessarily lead to egg eating.
    But it's best to look for eggs often at first, if possible, and get them out of reach.

Thin or softshell eggs are pretty normal for newly laying pullets, it can take up to a month for new layers to fine tune the egg making.

(your english is good)

Last edited: Sep 1, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by