Chickens ate broken egg...

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by mountainbunny, Dec 1, 2016.

1. mountainbunny

mountainbunny Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2016
    Central Arkansas
    I let my chickens out for short supervised free range time. Too many predators for me to feel safe leaving them out unattended. Today while they were out I was collecting an egg that had just been laid. I accidentally dropped the egg and it cracked. Before I could pick it up they were all over it, eating g the yolk and running around with the shell. Now I'm just wondering two things...
    1. Should I be concerned that this will cause them to attempt to break open their eggs in the nesting box?
    2. Was it OK/healthy for them to consume a raw egg? I have no intention of letting them do this again it just happened to fast for me to grab the cracked egg off the ground.

2. Hens rule

Hens rule Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2015
    USA
    It's okay that they broke the egg and ate it. They may try to break the other eggs but they probably won't unless they are hungry.

3. mountainbunny

May 26, 2016
    Central Arkansas
    Thanks! :) I broke the egg that they aye today. They always have access to their feed and I am supplementing with scratch for winter... Also they get a fair amount of treats so they shouldn't get hungry enough to try and break open their eggs I suppose.

1 person likes this.
  4. MasterOfClucker

MasterOfClucker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    I give my chicken whisked eggs yolk.They will be fine.

5. mountainbunny

May 26, 2016
    Central Arkansas
    Thanks for the reply. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by