Chickens ate moldy grass

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Cluckies, Feb 3, 2017.

1. Cluckies

Cluckies Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    My Coop
    I accidentally fed my girls moldy grass today (I think), not realizing it. before bed their crops were spongy so that was very weird, so I was thinking about it while out and what could be wrong. I came home and smelled the fodder and it smells moldy some. Is there anything I can do to help them? did I just kill my girls? [​IMG]I can't find anything on this and what do to...

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    How are they doing @Cluckies ?

I'm sure you have already done so, but remove any of the moldy grass that may be where they can get to it.
    Provide them with plenty of fresh water and feed.

If you have any that seem ill, you can try one of the "flushes" in the links below. The two easiest would be the epsom salts flush or molasses flush. Both would have a laxative effect, so I would assume you would see some runny poo. After you have finished the flush, give them some poultry vitamins in their water.

If no one is ill, just keep an eye on them..

Keep us posted.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/700526/flushes-for-aiding-in-toxin-removal
    http://extension.msstate.edu/content/solutions-and-treatments

3. Cluckies

Jul 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    My Coop

4. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Glad to hear they seem to be doing fine.

Please keep us posted if you have any changes.

5. Cluckies

Jul 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    My Coop
    Thanks, they were all eating and drinking normally today, enjoying the day, I gave them probiotics and electrolytes in there water. hopefully we are out of the woods. Morticia's crop felt spongy still, but like I said, hers always is hard to tell because she has a roll of fat there, so I think she is fine. I'll let you know if anything seems odd, but so far so good! Thanks for asking!

6. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Sounds good!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by