Chickens ate moldy grass

Cluckies

Crowing
9 Years
Jul 3, 2014
Minnesota
My Coop
My Coop
I accidentally fed my girls moldy grass today (I think), not realizing it. before bed their crops were spongy so that was very weird, so I was thinking about it while out and what could be wrong. I came home and smelled the fodder and it smells moldy some. Is there anything I can do to help them? did I just kill my girls?
hit.gif
I can't find anything on this and what do to...

I accidentally fed my girls moldy grass today (I think), not realizing it. before bed their crops were spongy so that was very weird, so I was thinking about it while out and what could be wrong. I came home and smelled the fodder and it smells moldy some. Is there anything I can do to help them? did I just kill my girls?
hit.gif
I can't find anything on this and what do to...
How are they doing @Cluckies ?

I'm sure you have already done so, but remove any of the moldy grass that may be where they can get to it.
Provide them with plenty of fresh water and feed.

If you have any that seem ill, you can try one of the "flushes" in the links below. The two easiest would be the epsom salts flush or molasses flush. Both would have a laxative effect, so I would assume you would see some runny poo. After you have finished the flush, give them some poultry vitamins in their water.

If no one is ill, just keep an eye on them..

Keep us posted.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/700526/flushes-for-aiding-in-toxin-removal
http://extension.msstate.edu/content/solutions-and-treatments

Quote: Last night at midnight I went out and gave them the epsom salt mixture on the roost, 3 of them drank from it, 2 of them wouldn't, but that is not un-normal as my two Silver Laced Wyandottes never drink when on the roost. But I didn't see 1 of them "Mother" eat any of the grass. Morticia did, but well, what can you do.

So this morning the 3 were cleaned out (crops were flat), yes they had runny poo as expected. The two SLW's crops, well Morticias felt squishy, but hers always does, she is my smallest hen but always has had a roll of fat in that area, so really no change. Mothers was a little squishy so not really normal for her. Keeping an eye on them today. They all seem to be eating, drinking, and moving around normally. Keeping my fingers crossed. So far, so good, thanks for asking!

I gave them double dose of ACV in their water today, and will give them probiotic and electrolytes tomorrow as well.

Thanks, they were all eating and drinking normally today, enjoying the day, I gave them probiotics and electrolytes in there water. hopefully we are out of the woods. Morticia's crop felt spongy still, but like I said, hers always is hard to tell because she has a roll of fat there, so I think she is fine. I'll let you know if anything seems odd, but so far so good! Thanks for asking!

Thanks, they were all eating and drinking normally today, enjoying the day, I gave them probiotics and electrolytes in there water. hopefully we are out of the woods. Morticia's crop felt spongy still, but like I said, hers always is hard to tell because she has a roll of fat there, so I think she is fine. I'll let you know if anything seems odd, but so far so good! Thanks for asking!

Sounds good!

Back
Top Bottom