Chickens ate my venus fly traps!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Sakmeht, Oct 16, 2011.

1. Sakmeht

Sakmeht Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2011
    I bought some fly traps for my daughter and my husband found the chickens munching on them! I had them up on top of their temporary coop that I used when they were smaller. I figured they were safe. [​IMG] It's been a couple weeks and they are growing back but very slowly. Anyone else find their chickens eating something really strange?

2. BellevueOmlet

BellevueOmlet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    That is funny, sorry about the loss of your plants but seriously, how does a venus fly trap look tasty? Chickens are so weird.

3. oneofseven

oneofseven Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2011
    Augusta, Ga
    My chickens eat anything. Perhaps yours will start catching flies and eating ants now. [​IMG]

4. remuda1

remuda1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2011
    Granbury, Texas
    Perhaps they thought they should eat the fly traps before the fly traps ate THEM???? [​IMG]

5. ziL

ziL Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2011
    Oswego County, NY
    [​IMG] That just made my day!

6. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

Quote:[​IMG] That's what I was gonna say! At least the traps didn't eat the chickens! [​IMG]

7. stano40

stano40 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Southern Maine
    I found mine at times attacking hornets and eating them.

8. flyboy129

flyboy129 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 27, 2011
    Chickens are highly intelligent. I find it obvious that the chickens recognized the flytraps as a threat to their food supply and simply eliminated that threat. [​IMG]

9. jomoncon

jomoncon Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2010
    New Orleans, LA
    Let's see. Once my 8 girls had eaten all the grass, they turned to the elephant ears, cannas, amaryllis, bird of paradise, daylilies, crinums, and almost everything else in my once beautifully landscaped yard. About the only thing they have not eaten, thankfully, are my prized adeniums!! The gardens are now all fenced off, and I have happy girls digging holes everywhere. For the eggs & enjoyment they provide, I feel it's a fair exchange.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by