1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

chickens ate some feminted feed....will this harm them?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by chickenfever417, Jul 23, 2013.

1. chickenfever417

chickenfever417 Chirping

Mar 23, 2013
    Nixa Mo
    My Coop
    I only have 3 chickens. I keep their feed in a metal container. But the feed lasts a long time because there is only 3 chickens.

I noticed last week the feed had soured. Not sure how long its been bad or how much they ate. They have gone about a week so far since they ate it. All seems fine.

2 Questions

1. Are there any long term issues they may have from eating this?
    2.Can this make egg production slow or stop (or not start because they are about 20 weeks)

THANK YOU!!!!

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

If there is mold in the feed then yes it can kill them (aspergillosis and botulism).

If there is old feed the vitamins degrade in it and can cause vitamin deficiencies, which can maim them. Vitamin deficiencies in poultry are not pretty.

If the feed has turned rancid, the feed should be thrown out and not ingested by them, but a little stale is OK. I think of this as, if you can safely ingest it yourself it is OK (stale food). If it is truly bad then the chickens shouldn't eat it either.

If the feed is "just" stale, then I would definitely consider getting rid of it anyway (in the future) based on the vitamins going stale, although the feed won't hurt them by poisoning as far as I know.

Egg production may be hindered from illness, certainly, but if you haven't been seeing gasping for breath and limberneck, paralysis, or staggering (or other signs of problems) so far then that is a very good sign.

I hope this helps.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2013
  3. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Songster

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    Fermented isn't bad a lot of people purposely ferment the feed. If it was going moldy then that would be a problem. After a week if they are acting normal, all is good. If they did get bad food then yes it could effect the egg production.

4. ChickensAreSweet

Oh I thought of one more thing. Since you only have 3 chickens, you may want to consider freezing your feed in gallon ziplock bags, then pulling out only enough for a few days for their feeder in the coop (as when something thaws it becomes damp). This will keep the feed fresh and free from mold, as long as only enough is removed from the freezer to use immediately, so it doesn't turn moldy from condensation. Chicken feed is expensive, and if you already have a chest freezer then this may be a cost reducer for you.

Cracked commercial feed should not be stored even under optimal conditions on the shelf for more than 3-4 months. In the summer with high heat, there is no way the feed will keep for 3-4 months. I am talking cool and dry.

If you keep it in the freezer, it should last a nice long time. How long? I don't know.

Do be cautious not to store feed inside the home unless it is frozen or in an airtight bin, as you don't want pantry moths.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2013
  5. chickenfever417

chickenfever417 Chirping

Mar 23, 2013
    Nixa Mo
    My Coop
    Yes, I think it was just fermented, smelled rancid, rotting kind of smell but no mold...I felt so bad after realizing I had been giving it to them. Not even sure how long??? Maybe just a little, I hope!! I was afraid it could effect egg production. No telling how long I set them behind [​IMG]

6. chickenfever417

chickenfever417 Chirping

Mar 23, 2013
    Nixa Mo
    My Coop
    Freezing it is brilliant!!!! Never thought about that. It sure would help especially in this HOT weather. Thanks for all the info...I had that bag only about 5/6 weeks maybe???? But it smelled awful. Thanks again!!!

7. ChickensAreSweet

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: