1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chickens ate some goat deworming pellets

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by redbeardchicken, Feb 15, 2016.

1. redbeardchicken

redbeardchicken New Egg

Jan 23, 2016
    Hi all, I am in need of some advice. My chickens ate a couple pellets of goat dewormer that contains morantel tartrate. They foraged through a pile of straw/feed that I swept out the garage. A mouse ate through the bag of goat dewormer and the chickens found it. I am using the eggs from my chickens to hatch, and am wondering if they are safe? Are the eggs ok to eat also? Any advice would be great.

2. Chicken Egg 17

Chicken Egg 17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2015
    McVeytown PA
    Well ur chickens should be fine but I don't know about the eggs I would imagine

3. LeafBlade12345

LeafBlade12345 Chillin' With My Peeps

The chickens will most likely be okay. I wouldn't chance it and eat the eggs, but I'm not sure for how long that would need to last. It may say on the packaging. Good luck!

Regards,
    Leaf

4. LeafBlade12345

LeafBlade12345 Chillin' With My Peeps

And :welcome

Regards,
    Leaf

5. huntingirl

huntingirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2016
    Don't eat the eggs. When you give your chickens de-wormer, (in this case they got it) you are supposed to always wait AT LEAST two weeks before eating the eggs again.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by