Chickens Attacked by Dogs

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by novastar, Oct 27, 2014.

1. novastar

novastar Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2014
    My chickens got out and the dogs got them.
    One is dead, one I found safe in the coup, one is lost and one is alive but chewed up on her back.
    I'm wondering what is the best to try to save the one that is alive but injured.
    I brought her into the house in a tote with some clean shavings.
    Should I just try to clean her wounds with warm water as best I can and keep an eye on her?
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    :(

2. redhen2280

redhen2280 New Egg

Oct 27, 2014
    Uriah, AL
    Chickens can be resilient and can recover from major wounds. They've got some spray for chickens at Tractor Supply you can spray on the wound to help healing. I used it on a chick that I had that was attacked by a fox and i thought it wouldnt live and now she's an adult hen laying eggs. Just make the chicken comfortable and keep the wound clean. Thats all you can do. Best of Luck!

3. Gayelynne

Gayelynne Out Of The Brooder

Sep 24, 2014
    Hi all you chicken lovers. I'm a new chicken lover myself one of my girls got hurt yesterday by something I do think it was a small dog. Her feathers are all ripped out in the back and it looks like her skin might be tore. I'm not sure if it's supposed to be that way or not. It's just above a notch that sticks up. About 3 inches from her poop shoot. Please can anyone tell me if that skin should be split there or not? Or do you think that when something ripped all her feathers out it split the skin. I will try to download a picture on here today if I can figure out how to do it. But any advice is helpful. I washed her with warm soapy water and sprayed Veteran on every 8 hrs since she's been injured.

4. Gayelynne

Sep 24, 2014
    [​IMG]

5. Gayelynne

Sep 24, 2014
    The best thing you can do is clean the wound with warm soapy water and put Veteran spray on the wounds but if there very bad you might have to sew her up

6. redhen2280

redhen2280 New Egg

Oct 27, 2014
    Uriah, AL
    The best thing you can do is clean the wound with warm soapy water and put Veteran spray on the wounds but if there very bad you might have to sew her up[/quote

Theres only suppose to be one hole back there and thats the poop shooter.

7. novastar

Apr 24, 2014
    Thank you.
    The lost bird actually found her way back! And she is unharmed! I am so happy that she is ok.
    So only one casualty, so far.
    I got the medicated spray at TSC and applied it to her.
    She has a tooth puncture that I can see. Lots of feathers ripped out and some bruising. She can't quite stand on her own and is limping.
    UGH my heart. Hopefully she will be able to recover.

8. novastar

Apr 24, 2014
    Is there something special that I should be feeding her? I have some water in the tote with her.
    Just wondering if something soft, like cooked oatmeal or boiled eggs?

9. Gayelynne

Sep 24, 2014
    I'm very sad not one reply does anyone know if the skin is supposed be like that or not. It might be to late to stich her up now but any advice would be greatly appreciated. Hopefully someone who loves chicken as much as I do can reply to this post and view the picture I posted yesterday.

10. Gayelynne

Sep 24, 2014
    It truly don't look like the skin should be that way but I can't tell and I tried looking at my other girls but way way to many feathers can't tell. Please help me anyone??????

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by