Chickens attacked by loose dogs

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Cagedraven, Jan 13, 2014.

1. Cagedraven

Cagedraven New Egg

Jan 12, 2014
    I came here to ask some questions but am getting some really good info from reading the old threads of others who have had this happen. It is frustrating to spend so much time training my cats and dogs out of ever attacking our pet hens and we all co exist outside peacefully with free range hens during day. Even though my property is enclose some neighbors dogs that had been running loose killed one and had ahold of another before we could get the hen away from the dog. She is pretty badly hurt on her hind end but looked a lot better today. It has been 4 days. She eats, drinks and today wanted out of the cage badly and hobbled around on her gimpy leg for several hours in the house. I bought some over the counter sulfa antibiotic for poultry and it seems to have helped considerably.

So this is my question since I am not a chicken expert: She is missing about 1/3 feathers. It seems to cold outside to put her back outside without feathers. How long does it take for them to get some fluff going so she does not have bare skin. I only had three hens so I am concerned also for the third who is used to free range in the day and has been trapped alone in the coop for 4 days. I would like to reunite them as soon as possible but my girl Miya inside has open wounds I really don't want her out in the mud and muck it is winter. Tomorrow animal control can deal with the dogs as I know who owns them now.

Maybe I am just looking for some support because people don't seem to care that these dogs did this because they are "just chickens". We are nursing a wounded chicken and had to bury another. These were our pets and someone elses negligence resulted in my pet being shredded and my sons pet chicken near death requiring attention every couple hours as we nurse her back to health possibly for weeks. It is extremely frustrating that people take the stand that if chickens free range even though my property is completely enclosed with a 6ft chain link fence that it is my problem not the dog owners who do not contain THEIR pets.

Anyhow sorry to vent just thinking that you folks will understand how violated and upset we are at what happened to our sweet gals. Can you guys clue me in about the feather thing? Maybe even some suggestions on WHEN it is ok to put her back with her friend?

[​IMG]

The large gash wound is at the tip of her wings it appears black because some feathers are stuck to it when we took this but she is actually preening a bit today which was nice to see. The other side looks the same. This is four days post attack it looks much better but she is soooo sore.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. Sorry about losing your one hen. Since you have only 2 now, I would be tempted to bring both of them into the house in separate cages so they can see each other. ( or you could put the one injured out in the coop in a cage so they could interact.) When the wounds start to heal well, I would make her a hen apron/saddle out of polarfleece to cover her wounds and bare skin. They are very easy to make in one piece with 2 two-inch slits for the wings to fit through. Sometimes they will grow in the feathers, and sometimes you will have to wait on their next full molt for them to come in. You will be able to see the blue fehttps://www.google.com/search?q=hen+saddle&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=uDHUUvLMHMihrAHixYHwBg&sqi=2&ved=0CCgQsAQ&biw=1920&bih=954ather shafts coming through the skin in about 2-3 weeks if they will grow back in sooner. Pictures of hen saddles:

3. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

Alright and [​IMG] great to have you onboard [​IMG]

This happens a lot more then one would think [​IMG]

So far you are doing thing correctly [​IMG]

The new feathers should be coming in, in a couple of weeks [​IMG]

Keep her warm and undercover and she should be good in just about 2 to 3 weeks [​IMG]

4. pwand

pwand Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2007
    BC Canada
  5. Cagedraven

Cagedraven New Egg

Jan 12, 2014
    Thank you so much for your input! I let them both outside for a few minutes together this morning and the uninjured hen puffed up and was aggressive to poor Miya! I will be taking your advice on putting her in the coop in a large cage with a light for heat or bringing the other hen in maybe even at night to roost in a cage next to her not sure. Now I have to do chicken group therapy hah! The other hen had been cooped up which has never happened for 5 days so I should have pre thought that out better anyways she needs to get some energy out. She also chased one of our cats around as well so I think she is just freaked out herself from the trauma and then being completely isolated and confined for days and days?? Thank you so much for your support :) Oh by the way we think the dog crushed an egg that was still inside her because it looked like white and yolk ran out of her the first few times she went potty. Do the shells just sort of come out or do I have a bigger problem?

6. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    You may have to lube up a finger and see if there are shells in there. I do hope they come out by themselves. It would be great to have her seen by a vet and send those dog owners a bill.

I hope your hen gets better fast. [​IMG]

7. Cagedraven

Cagedraven New Egg

Jan 12, 2014
    Put my finger ..... ohhh nooooo gross! They don't just poop the shells out? She is still doing as good as she can with big wounds would there be some sort of signs there was a shell issue before I give her the finger of doom??? Were so incredibly broke I was glad I was able to buy antibiotics. I wish we had the saddle and a diaper for that matter but it is just not possible. We have to hillbilly heal this one.

8. pwand

pwand Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2007
    BC Canada
    If you don't get the shells out, she will most likely die.

9. Sarevan

Sarevan Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2013
    White Swan, WA
    Cagedraven - If you don't have gloves you can use saran wrap, plastic bag to do the exam. Gently insert your finger and feel for shell, if you do gently try to fish them out careful not to cut her internally. If she is unable to expel the shells on her own you will need to try as they can get stuck to the walls. I wish you both luck and feeling better soon.

10. Cagedraven

Cagedraven New Egg

Jan 12, 2014
    Ok it sounds like it is a serious issue I am going to have to do a little anatomy reading and work on this tomorrow. I have got her this far it would be awful to lose her over something avoidable and there was no mistaking that an egg was crushed inside her. Thanks again for all the help ladies!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by