Chickens attacked by raccoon - how to help

puebloyoga

In the Brooder
8 Years
Aug 9, 2011
Miscommunication btw my husband and me, so a raccoon was able to get into our run b/c we didn't lock the door. I woke up in the middle of the night to the chicken's screeches. The raccoon was attacking one chicken right by my back door. When I opened the door, the raccoon ran away, and the chicken walked back near the run/coop barely moving. We checked her out with nothing visible wound wise. I put her in the coop, along with the other chickens who had cleverly escaped the coop somehow and were perched high up in a tree. This morning we realized from all of the feathers that two chickens were attacked but they all seem physically fine but are mostly holed up in their coop today (they are usually running all around) - anything to help them with PTSD or anything else? I'm shocked that I'm not seeing any wounds but maybe I haven't looked carefully enough.

Jen
Mom to 2 Americaunas, 2 Black Marans, 1 Buff Orpington and 1 Golden Laced Wyandotte (all about 6 months old and just starting to lay)
Northern California

I would check for wounds and if you find any treat with some neosporin and make sure it is clean so it doesn't get infected. Make sure they have water with some vitamins and electrolytes. They are probably in shock poor things .....so glad you didn't lose any! We lost 2 of ours to a raccoon attack last year.

Back
Top Bottom