1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Chickens attacked by unknown animal

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by FLChickenMom, Jun 19, 2018.

1. FLChickenMom

FLChickenMom In the Brooder

Jun 19, 2018
    Melbourne, Florida
    Came home last night to put chickens in their coop and something got in the run cuz feathers were all over. Other than the feathers, one had a bare spot on her back. This morning I went to check on them and they are obviously traumatized. I got one to eat and drink but not the other. They aren't coming out of the coop which is understandable but they are keeping their beaks open. Other than keep checking on them, is there anything else I can do at this point?

True Patriot likes this.
  2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble Premium Member 9 Years

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Time to inspect and fortify your coop and run. No telling what predator got to them, luckily you didnt lose any birds. They are keeping their beaks open because it's hot, and they were being chased, panting after the attack. Provide them ice water to drink to help cool them.
    They'll eventually come out of the coop when they get hungry enough but will be skittish.

Wyorp Rock and True Patriot like this.
  3. True Patriot

True Patriot Sanity is subjective Premium Member

May 20, 2018
    Liberty Co, Georgia
    My Coop
    Close up any openings in the coop with hardware cloth. Is it covered? And does it have an apron? A lot of predators can get through gaps you'd most likely ignore as secure. And most are agile climbers, don't forget to look up. Pics of the coop will help with future advice. Best of luck.

Wyorp Rock likes this.
  4. FLChickenMom

Jun 19, 2018
    Melbourne, Florida
    Thanks so much for the explanation. Still dont know what got to them as whatever it was left before I got there. I have them drinking and eating grape tomatoes and took them to their favorite place in the yard fir a short visit. I will keep working with them.

5. FLChickenMom

Jun 19, 2018
    Melbourne, Florida

6. FLChickenMom

Jun 19, 2018
    Melbourne, Florida
    Thanks for the insight. The actual coop is secure and they get locked inside at dusk. I have a closed in run with a gate and cover. The issue is that they were in the run section with the gate open cuz I ran late to get them in before dark. It was my own fault which is why Im so upset. It wont happen again, that’s for sure. Do you know anything about the automated dawn to dusk gates?

7. FLChickenMom

Jun 19, 2018
    Melbourne, Florida

8. FLChickenMom

Jun 19, 2018
    Melbourne, Florida

9. True Patriot

True Patriot Sanity is subjective Premium Member

May 20, 2018
    Liberty Co, Georgia
    My Coop
    With a little modifications a gate closer could be modified on a timer. I personally haven't seen one for sale like that. One issue I do see is that gate closers are usually intended for driveway gates. They definitely would crush any birds in their path. What about adding a pop door next to the gate and using a closer for coop doors? I'd say it's a safer solution.

10. FLChickenMom

Jun 19, 2018
    Melbourne, Florida
    What is a pop door?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: