Chickens Attacking One Hen - need help

DebbieA57

Chirping
Nov 30, 2019
Central New Jersey
I have a sweet little Americauna who injured her leg and is now limping (not broken, sprained as per vet). I separated her from the others to allow her time to heal. She sleeps overnight in a dog crate. The other three still see her during the day and free range around the outside of the chicken tractor where I keep her. She is still limping a little but is much better. I have let her out to free range with the others a few times. Sometimes they are fine together, and and sometimes the other three gang up on her and peck her unmercifully. She's very small and has always been at the bottom of the pecking order and mostly avoids them because they would occasionally chase her, but now they are viscously attacking. How do I resolve this other than keeping them separated forever? Will it ever get better, or is this it? The other three are Barred Rocks (2) and an Australorp. They are all 2 1/2 years old.

Attachments

• _B7A7524.jpg
    _B7A7524.jpg
    411.8 KB · Views: 8
The flock is going to see her as an intruder or a new chicken since she has been gone and not fully part of the flock. Also chickens will attack an injured flock mate to rid the flock of it because it will be a target for predators. Once she heals fully, they will not single her out. I would keep her away until she is fully healed and not seen as a weaker chicken in the flock due to injury.

Just be patient and with time things should resolve. It isn’t going to happen overnight.

When she’s healed try the see but not touch method:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...using-the-“see-but-don’t-touch”-method.67839/

Instead of 3 against 1, try and make it 2 against 2. This is why I almost never separate birds, it causes a lot of problems.

It will take some space, but pick your least aggressive bird, and put them with the EE in a separate pen, best would be next to the permanent set up, or inside the permanent set up. Do have some hideouts, so that the EE can get out of sight of the other girl. There probably will be some dust ups, but unless bloody, let that go. It is one on one, not 3 against one. If it does get bloody, pull that one out, and wait a couple of days, and try a different bird.

Often times in a flock this size, there is a pretty aggressive top bird. If you have one of those, after a week of splitting it 2 and 2, put the top bird where you had the EE and friend, and put the pair in with the other bird. Wait a couple of days, add in the more aggressive bird.

Good luck,

Mrs K

The flock is going to see her as an intruder or a new chicken since she has been gone and not fully part of the flock. Also chickens will attack an injured flock mate to rid the flock of it because it will be a target for predators. Once she heals fully, they will not single her out. I would keep her away until she is fully healed and not seen as a weaker chicken in the flock due to injury.

Just be patient and with time things should resolve. It isn’t going to happen overnight.

When she’s healed try the see but not touch method:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...using-the-“see-but-don’t-touch”-method.67839/
Just wanted to let everyone know this story had a happy ending. Once she was better (and could run away a little faster), they stopped picking on her! I will add that she definitely had to also get past acting afraid of them before they’d leave her alone. Advice here was dead on, thanks.

Just wanted to let everyone know this story had a happy ending. Once she was better (and could run away a little faster), they stopped picking on her! I will add that she definitely had to also get past acting afraid of them before they’d leave her alone. Advice here was dead on, thanks.
Great News!
Thanks for following up!

Back
Top Bottom