Chickens attitudes

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Ole rooster, Oct 2, 2011.

1. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    I made my first roost in a way I thought was right. Well I got to watching the chickens and realized it was just not right. So I built a different roost area with wider spacing and larger poles. Last night when whey went to bed they were raising so much ruckus you would have thought a coon was in there with um. Pecking, squawking, jumping down off the roost, back up. But when they settle down they're bunched up like a can of sardines. Is this roost to small are do they carry on like this all the time. They have 3 poles but end up on one. All except the BO's. They wait till all the fightings over, walk up the ladder, get their spot and sit down for the night.

If it's to small I'll have to do something else.[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 2, 2011
  2. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Chickens always carry on like kindergarteners at nap time when roosting for the night. My wierdos didn't like the typical roost and decided the top of the nest boxes were the place to be. So I took a 1 x 6 and they have slowly adapted to roosting on it.

Some a little better than others:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. daver

daver Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Linden, NC
    It sounds like war inside our coop at roost time. Thumps, bumps And a lot of chatter.

Takes them about ten minutes for them to get settled.

Dave

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by