Chickens awake at night

City Chicken Lady

Songster
12 Years
Jul 11, 2011
Mongomery AL
I noticed about a week ago in the wee hours of the morning that at least two hens were out in the run attached to the chicken tractor run. We have had some warm weather lately and a full moon. The coop part of the tractor is big enough for five hens, I think. I also have one hen that is at the bottom of the pecking order. They are Buff Orpingtons and all look pretty much alike at night from my kitchen window so I don't know which ones are out. Any ideas about this?

Also, I discovered a possum on the back porch last night eating cat food so I closed the door to the run attached to the tractor run so the hens have to stay in the small run. How can I get rid of the possum without poisoning him? He/she growled at me when I tried to chase it off with a broom. Thanks for any help!

I really would like some advice on the nightowl chickens.

Last edited:
I walk up to him, grab him by the tail, and with considerable force stomp on the back part of his head repeatedly if neccesary. A sledge hammer or ax handle can do same. I have handled / killed many oppossums and have never been bitten but take care not to put my parts in its mouth.

I also just came across my chicken roaming around at night (a few minutes ago in fact) and it's kinda freaking me out. The other chicken is roosting no problem inside the coop. The one wandering outside seemed alert enough ( not groggy or lethargic or sick) but she did complain a little when we locked her up inside the coop. It's not a super hot night or anything (though it is warm enough for me to sleep without a blanket). I'm worried there's a rat or something that I can't see that's upsetting her, but would't they make some kind of noise if there was a predator in their area?? She's just standing in the small run under the coop right now, making that low volume grumble that chickens do when they're not happy.

I have seen possums on back my back and front porches. (I have a stray cat that I feed so I know they have been stealing cat food.) I don't know what to do about getting rid of them.

I think it is too hot inside the little coop inside the chicken tractor for them, although, the Buff Orpingtons are the only night owls. I have since moved the BO's into a brand new coop and wire enclosure so I close their doors at sundown. The wire on the enclosure is buried.

I feed my cats on the back porch, and also have had night time food raiders. I no longer leave the cat food out over night.

Back
Top Bottom