1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chickens babysitting chicks

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Hinotori, Mar 9, 2012.

1. Hinotori

Hinotori Silver Feathers Premium Member

Apr 27, 2011
    Graham, WA
    Is it usual for other chickens to babysit chicks for a broody? I'm not talking just my rooster who always feeds chicks.

My broody hatched out 2 chicks two weeks ago. She's been having her 20 week old daughter babysitting them with her for the last week.

The last few days, I've found both 20 week old cockerels watching them, even laying down so they could snuggle under wings. The other silkie hen and easter egger hen in the pen have also been babysitting, squatting down for the chicks and everything.

It's a lot of very laid back birds and everyone in there feeds them. Last time she hatched chicks, this hen didn't let them out of her sight for the first 5 weeks. Now she's happy to make someone watch them while she goes out to find some fresh new grass and bugs.

It is just the oddest thing to me. I've never heard of all the birds in a pen taking care of the babies.

2. thegreypony

thegreypony Chillin' With My Peeps

We have a bantam hen that co-parents with our perpetually broody Buff Orps but none of the other birds babysit. How fun though!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by