Chicken's back foot is black seems like it will fall off

nycchick

Hatching
Nov 6, 2015
My poor little chicken had a hair wrapped around her leg and it seems to have cut off her circulation. I didn't notice it until her hind foot became black and had swollen up. I cleaned it and put antibiotic but it's getting worse. Vets here didn't agree to take a look. They don't take chicks as pets. I don't know what else to do. You see my husband got the little chicks and I didn't want them but now I'm crying so hard and I know how dangerous this is for her. She is alone with a smaller one that love each other so she is safe from other hens. Wow having animals sick is so heart breaking. Please any advice is appreciated.

Ok so I read about antibiotics. Can anyone tell me how to administer them. Do I weigh the chicken and give her a dose based on her weight. And it would probably be amoxicillin that I can get in liquid form. Vet in NY didn't accept to see her. Don't those people take an oath or something. That's cruel

My poor little chicken had a hair wrapped around her leg and it seems to have cut off her circulation. I didn't notice it until her hind foot became black and had swollen up. I cleaned it and put antibiotic but it's getting worse. Vets here didn't agree to take a look. They don't take chicks as pets. I don't know what else to do. You see my husband got the little chicks and I didn't want them but now I'm crying so hard and I know how dangerous this is for her. She is alone with a smaller one that love each other so she is safe from other hens. Wow having animals sick is so heart breaking. Please any advice is appreciated.

I'm guessing you mean her back toe became black and swollen. Over the years I've seen this with many birds/many species and each time the bird survived and thrived. If the circulation has been cut off long enough that the cells off the toe have died the toe will eventually fall off. She will adapt. If it is just her toe it is not as dangerous as you might think. Keep an eye on her and all will be well.

If it's the leg that has turned black then you have to decide what's best. I have a zebra finch that lost its whole foot. It continues to nest and raise babies. Good luck.

Thank you for your reply. I guess her back toe will fall off then. I will show patience and extra attention and love. Your calm and collective response is greatly appreciated

Many chickens survive lost toes from frostbite in winter freezing temperatures. I would watch it and apply betadine to the toe to help prevent infection. Good luck with your chicks.

Back
Top Bottom