Chicken's bad aim for picking up treats

blairctchickens

Chirping
May 9, 2016
North East Kansas
I have a 7 week old Americana chicken that has very bad aim at getting treats. I have some dry mealworms I have put in my hand and she has a hard time pecking and or finding the worm in my hand. Is there an eye sight problem to be aware of in this breed? And or should I worry about this issue. Any help would be appreciated!!

I watched her this morning and did not observe any abnormal action when she was walking around the pin. I did see a post from a couple years ago that stated her beak might be to big for her to see around at this age. To me her beak seam same size as the other chickens in the flock. But she sure can see the red bag the treats are in and come running up for some. any other thoughts? Also forgot to mention she is always the last to be picked up for she is super skiddish.

Bad aim is a classic symptom of blindness in one eye. It may be a defect or it may be a temporary infection. Look carefully at both eyes. Do you see anything different about one?

A sinus infection will often affect eyesight and usually is accompanied by swelling just below and around the eye socket.

Is the eye watering or bubbly? That also indicates an infection.

You might get an ocular antibiotic ointment from the feed store or your vet and apply it to both eyes and see if that improves her vision. If it doesn't, then you'll know it's a genetic defect.

Update on my hen!! Babs seamed to be ok and her aim has improved. I decided to not try medication and just observe awhile and she seems to have no problem pecking for her food, not the best but she is doing fine and is finding ways to steal special treats from the other flock mates.
big_smile.png

yay! make sure you keep an eye on her though, cause sometimes, if its a sickness, they'll recover once and then a few months later it'll come back worse, that happened to one of my chooks
sad.png

good luck
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom