chickens badly mauled

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by eastbaychick, Jan 25, 2011.

1. eastbaychick

eastbaychick New Egg

Jan 25, 2011
    Either a dog or raccoon broke into the run yesterday, killing 2 hens and badly mauling the other 2. The survivors have large gaping wounds on the backs of their necks and shoulders, lots of skin gone, some tissue torn. They seemed to be in shock so I was scared to handle them too much. I cleaned them as best as I dared with the shower hose since there was a lot of debris ground into the wounds, then covered them neosporin-smeared gauze. Miraculously they survived the night and are looking a bit more alert today, although they won't eat or drink. I'm still in shock myself, it hasn't really sunk in yet that 2 of my girls are gone - but I want to focus on trying to save the others. DOes anyone know how frequently I should change the dressings, and whether there OTC antibiotics I should be giving?

Thanks for any and all advice.

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Last edited: Jan 25, 2011
  3. tammye

tammye Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    NH
    chickens can survive quite a bit, sounds like you are doing the right things. I would give them some electrolyte solution in their water, if they won't drink get an eye dropper and squirt it in their mouth( careful not to injure their throat). My hens love fresh corn off the cob, they will eat it no matter what, so try to find something that they will eat for now. Do not put them into that coop until you find out how the predator got in, he will be back for more! about the gauze, make sure there is enough ointment on to prevent it from sticking to the skin, chane in in a day or two, once a scab forms remove the gauze, make sure the hens are not picking at each others wounds. good luck

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    sounds like you've done it right. I would dribble the water onto their beaks instead of trying to get it down their throats, in case of it going into their lungs.. the electrolytes would be good, shock is the biggest culprit now.. a nice warm place thats quiet is best... but try to get them hydrated.. if you have betadine the next time you clean out their wounds wash them out with betadine mixed with warm water to look like weak tea, then after they dry put on the neo. Sorry for your loss,

5. LeezyBeezy

LeezyBeezy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2010
    Lancaster PA
    [​IMG] Sorry for your loss. There are really good threads on here... mostly warmth, comfort, quiet, nutrition. Good luck and keep us posted!

6. eastbaychick

eastbaychick New Egg

Jan 25, 2011
    Quote:Wow, thanks for the link to all the useful info! I'll be trying some of the suggestions, will update on their progress later.

Thanks also to everyone else for the quick and helpful advice. So glad I found this forum!

-evelyn

7. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    eastbaychick, we all forgot to say...[​IMG]

8. eastbaychick

eastbaychick New Egg

Jan 25, 2011
    Thanks for the welcome, and sympathy. Sadly, my beautiful fluffy-bottomed buff orpington just passed away. This morning she was looking better so I thought she might pull through, but then this evening she went downhill pretty fast. I wonder if it was shock rather than the injuries themselves, since she wouldn't drink anything and I wasn't able to get more than about a dropperful in - and I was terrified of sending the electrolyte solution down the wrong tube. Surprisingly her sister seems to be hanging in there, even though her injuries looked worse. She managed to drink some water on her own and seems to be holding steady. I read that it's good to let the wound get some air, so perhaps I'll leave the bandage off if i can manage to get some more neosporin spread directly on the wound, although the idea of applying any kind of rubbing pressure to it is scary...

now i need to figure out what to do with a dead chicken. my neighbor was willing to eat the 2 that were killed yesterday, but he's had enough, and i can't stomach the thought of eating her myself. am thinking of burying her in the yard.

9. luvmychks51

luvmychks51 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 10, 2009
    Brooksville, FL
    I have nursed back to health many chickens that were attacked by dogs. If they survived until now you may have a good chance of saving them. I agree with the others, you need to get some water into them. Usually a few drops on the beak with an eye dropped will hopefully get them to open up and take in more. Fresh corn is a favorite of my girls, too. They also love moist bread and scrambled eggs including the crushed shell.

You have all good advice in this thread from others as well. Keep them warm and hydrated. Their wounds can heal with good care and hopefully they are not too deep.

so sorry about your other two girls.

10. luvmychks51

luvmychks51 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 10, 2009
    Brooksville, FL
    Quote:Sorry your buff orph didn't pull through. When we lose a chicken I always bury them. They are like family and could never eat one.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by