1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicken's bald bum :(

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Campbell95, Jan 26, 2013.

1. Campbell95

Campbell95 New Egg

Jan 26, 2013
    Hi everyone i'm new to this thread [​IMG]
    When I went to let the chickens out this morning I noticed one of my hens (who we've had for about 3 years) had a really bald bum and it looked really red and sore! [​IMG] (i've attached a photo)
    We brought her in the house and washed he bum in hibiscrub and warm water and then put some cream on it and also put some vaseline up he bum.
    She hasn't layed for a few days but we've had some new chicks for a few months and one of them turned out to be a cockeral.
    Could it be stress or mites? any ideas what it could be and what to to? she's currently enjoying her self being in the warmth of the bathroom [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. iLoveAllChickys

iLoveAllChickys Out Of The Brooder

Dec 1, 2012
    Hello, sorry to hear about this,
    if you have some Tissue Oil or Bio oil try and put that on and always keep the area moisturised [​IMG]
    Hope this helps

3. Sweetly Silkies

Sweetly Silkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2012
    MO
    My Coop
    is that photo from after the wash or before?
    I would also wash her. Give her a nice warm bath to get any bugs off, dry her FULLY before putting wood ash on her (if you have any) or diamatious earth to get more bugs off. then put tissue r boi oil on her like ilove all chickies said, good luck!!

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC - wash and dry.

5. Campbell95

Campbell95 New Egg

Jan 26, 2013
    Thankyou everyone for all your suggestions [​IMG]
    The picture was taken after we'd washed her [​IMG]
    We took her too the vets the other day to get her checked out and she had egg peritonitis, the vet gave her a steroid injection and said she'll be okay for a while and she was swollen because of the fluid but it couldn't be drained out.
    We put her back out with the others as normal and she still seems her happy usual self eating and drinking [​IMG]

6. iLoveAllChickys

iLoveAllChickys Out Of The Brooder

Dec 1, 2012
    That's very good to hear [​IMG]
    Hope it all goes well !

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by