Chickens + Bats = ???

TheAmundsons

Songster
Mar 11, 2018
Vermillion, SD
Hi! We are going to be moving our chickens and ducks into a new barn this year to give them more room and to be able to add to our flock! That being said, the barn we are moving them to is currently inhabited by some bats. We have no issue allowing them to stay in there, as the ceiling is very high so I don't think they would bother the chickens. I don't know anything about bats, so I could be very wrong about that!

Should we get rid of the bats before moving the chickens in, or will they be okay to cohabitate? Any advice would be great! This is something we're hoping to start working on in about a month or so, so we'd need to know sooner than later! :) Thanks in advance!

I have bats in my area. Love them. I had to get a net they couldn't get tangled up in. Not sure if they would bother with the chickens.

Could you possibly net off about 3 ft from the top and leave access for them to come and go? That way they are not near chickes and chickens can't get to them.

@llombardo we could definitely try that! Like I said, I have no issue allowing them to live there as long as the chickens aren’t bothered by their presence/poop.

@Trish1974 I know, that’s kind of my concern. Any idea where I could find information about it?

@Trish1974 I know, that’s kind of my concern. Any idea where I could find information about it?
I'm not sure about that. I know here in Indiana we had an outbreak of something in bats a few years ago...it wasn't rabies, but I can't remember what it was. I think it was mentioned on our DNR website. May want to check with your state's DNR.

Good suggestion. I will check into that!

Do you mind me asking where you live in Indiana? I see your profile says North Central. I was born and raised in Elkhart, and we are getting married there next spring!

Good suggestion. I will check into that!

Do you mind me asking where you live in Indiana? I see your profile says North Central. I was born and raised in Elkhart, and we are getting married there next spring!
I am between Peru and Rochester, in northern Miami county. When I was a kid I showed horses, and we used to go to a tack store up by Elkhart all the time! I don't recall the name of it but it was pretty popular.

Back
Top Bottom