Chickens Be Bored!

CHlCKEN

Addict
Jun 21, 2020
Tennessee
My Coop
My Coop
What do you guys do for bored chickens? Mine are cooped up (pun intended) in the run for most of the day until I get home because our hawk problem is just impossible, and they cannot be left unattended for that long. They get those hours of free ranging When I’m home, but those hours that they have in the run they are always clearly bored. Right now, I’m working on some tire dust baths to put in there. But while those haven’t been made, my chickens are always clearly bored in their run. What kinds of toys/enrichments do you guys put in while your chickens can’t be out? I’m sure that there are some fun things to put in but I just can’t think of anything.

I change out the objects in the coop: stumps, roosts, perches, lawn chairs, etc.
I make my own flock block. I put straw or pine shavings in a pile so that they spread it around.
Fun, I’ve got lots of leaves to put in for them soon! I forgot I had an actual question... what do you do about poop build up in the run? Do you scoop it out? Mix up the mulch/dirt? How do you control the poop build up to stop flys 👍

I let it build up and take care of it in the Spring. The chickens help out a lot with the things I add in the run and coop with all their scraping around.
Thanks. I seem to have issues on certain surfaces like logs and rocks. I’ll work on preventing these things from building up since the chickens obviously can’t scratch them up to prevent it themselves

What kinds of toys/enrichments do you guys put in while your chickens can’t be out?
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/a-cluttered-run.1323792/

I forgot I had an actual question... what do you do about poop build up in the run? Do you scoop it out? Mix up the mulch/dirt? How do you control the poop build up to stop flys
My runs have semi-deep litter(cold composting), never clean anything out, just add smaller dry materials on occasion, add larger wood chippings as needed.

Thanks. I seem to have issues on certain surfaces like logs and rocks. I’ll work on preventing these things from building up since the chickens obviously can’t scratch them up to prevent it themselves
I don't have rocks. My logs I stand upright instead of laying them down and I group them with three together in an area.

I don't have rocks. My logs I stand upright instead of laying them down and I group them with three together in an area.
I had rocks in there so that I could lift them up after a while and let them have insect feasts. It could be done with logs I guess but i just have so many random bricks laying around, so they use them for honing as well.

Back
Top Bottom