1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chickens becoming night owls...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by landonjacob, Oct 17, 2013.

1. landonjacob

landonjacob Out Of The Brooder

Nov 25, 2012
    Columbia, South Carolina
    So I have 5 backyard chickens. They are 6 months old. I let them out of the coop in the morning and they roam my backyard all day and head back into there coop at dusk... or that's what they used to do at least.

For the past few of weeks they've been waiting longer and longer to head back to the coop. And now, for whatever reason, they wait till it's completely dark.

The problem is that it's so dark not all of them can find their way back into the coop (my yard's not that big), and I've come home at 11pm or so and find them on top of the coop roof, on the nesting box, on the fence beside the coop, etc.

We have some large owls in the neighborhood and I'm worried because they aren't protected when they aren't in the coop.

I think something tried to get one a few nights ago because I found a bunch of feather on the ground beside the fence (they place a couple of them go instead of the coop).

Is this just normal? Any advice will be greatly appreciated! Here's a pic of them tonight. Staying by my security light instead of just going to the coop!! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. landonjacob

landonjacob Out Of The Brooder

Nov 25, 2012
    Columbia, South Carolina
    Here's my coop. So it's not because they don't have a nice home! Lol.

[​IMG]

3. Fancychooklady

Fancychooklady Overrun With Chickens

Jun 14, 2012
    Tasmania. Australia
    I suspect that your chooks have had a " close call " with a predator inside the coop. Start from scratch. Feed them in the arvo , entice them into the coop with dinner and lock them up. Make sure they have perches up high enough to give them a sense of security. Check the perimeter of your coop for any evidence of " break ins ". My roosters get very confused by the full moon. Crowing all night long. Perhaps your security light is an issue also.

4. Fancychooklady

Fancychooklady Overrun With Chickens

Jun 14, 2012
    Tasmania. Australia
    Your coop is adorable!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by