1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

chickens before I was ready

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Alanea11, Feb 8, 2012.

1. Alanea11

Alanea11 New Egg

Feb 8, 2012
    Hi everyone, I'm new and have a world of questions to ask. I'm in a strange situation regarding chickens.

Its been a dream of mine to get out of the apartment dweller lifestyle with my 4 kids and get back to living in a house with a back yard (we had a house, but circumstances ie: divorce lead us back to apartment life). In 7 days we will be realising this dream. And once we got there I planned on building a coop and incubator before spring started and have my chickens.

But word gets around. A neighbor of mine who has chickens and chats with my 10yo daughter alot found out I want chickens, she is moving too. So guess what she gave to my daughter. A full grown chicken. We havent moved yet, I have no coop, feed or anything I researched and was going to install in the new house.

So here I am, a new chicken owner. I'm very happy about it. But its a dream come true about a month too soon.

Any advice, help or panic button would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Alanea11 or you can just call me Al.

2. AlienChick

AlienChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    Well, [​IMG]

Sounds like you've been rushed into things. [​IMG]

If you can't give back the chicken till you move, I would just keep it in a large dog crate perhaps on your balcony if you have one. Add some shavings for litter.

Do you have chicken feed? If you feed the chicken anything other than the feed, you'll need to buy some grit.

Chickens are social creatures and do not like to be "alone" so I'd definitely think about getting more as soon as you move.

Good luck!

3. ghillie

ghillie Hen Pecked

Nov 13, 2008
    Colorado Springs, Co
    [​IMG]

4. silkymom1986

silkymom1986 The Silkie Villa

Sep 28, 2011
    Byhalia, MS
    Yea you are in a sticky situation, if you don't have anyone to keep her for you try a large box or if you have a dog kennel by chance that would work temporarily. Good luck!

[​IMG]

5. S&N Livestock

S&N Livestock Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    southern ohio
    [​IMG] from Ohio

6. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    [​IMG] I agree with the previous poster about trying to get your lone chicken a companion ASAP - she will be SO much happier. Since you are in Ohio, and some of the better known hatcheries are also in OH, perhaps it wouldn't be too far for you to drive there and see if they will sell you an adult hen? The other thing you could try is to find the OH thread in the "Where am I? Where are you?" section, and post your dilemma there - see if anyone would be willing to part with a hen so that yours is not alone.

7. greymane

greymane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Snyder County, PA
    [​IMG]

8. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    [​IMG] I think I'd give the original chicken owner a call and tell them to hang on to the chicken until you have facilities ready.

9. Smiles-N-Sunshine

Smiles-N-Sunshine Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2008
    Palominas, Arizona
    Maybe try craigslist for someone willing to offer room and board?

10. Crazyhenlady

Crazyhenlady Out Of The Brooder

Feb 8, 2012
    Everett, Wa
    Honestly I would try to find her a new home and then try again when your ready.:) Less stress for you and the hen. Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by