Chickens being "chicken"

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by cptkracker, Aug 6, 2010.

1. cptkracker

cptkracker Out Of The Brooder

Jul 11, 2010
    I have a small flock of 7 GLW which most of are not so tame. They are about 21 weeks old and i bought them at an age of one week. Whenever i get near them they ru away and hide wherever possible. They will come and eat next to me and out of my hand on ocasion if i do not move. I was wondering how i could get my chickens to stop being "chicken" and let me handle them. Any tips or tricks would be appreciated! [​IMG]

2. NC29mom

NC29mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Scotland Neck, NC
    My experience has been most chickens want to be chickens; running, pecking, pooping, etc. They don't want to be held or cuddled. I think that's a need we have within ourselved, but obviously not a need within CHICKENS!

I, too, wish mine would let me love them. But, they are chickens and not meant to be snuggled by me. So, I just deal with it (and snuggle with the chicks)

3. OregonChickenGal

OregonChickenGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    Central Oregon
    Mine do the same. Being chickens. I do have 2 out of 3 BR that will let me pick them up. That's only because the woman I got them from, had them since birth, and picked them up constantly everyday. I got them when they were 9 mos. old.

4. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    One thing I do with my less tame chickens, is I talk to them (I know--sounds nutty), and I go into their coop at dusk, when everybody is settled in on the roosts, then I talk to them and pet them a bit. Things are much calmer in the evening. And of course offer the yummy treats....once they're adults though, I think they never do become super friendly. You could try sitting in a chair near them, and put some treats around very near to you, then on your lap. That works with wild birds. It does take a little bit of time though.

5. noodleroo

noodleroo Snuggles with Chickens

Apr 29, 2010
    Rockport, Tx
    Click on my page for lots of info on this. The biggest thing is probably getting down on their level at this point and being really consistent in your actions. Good luck...

6. dragonlair

dragonlair Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2008
    Maine
    Mine run from me like they think I am going to torture and kill them, then they get under my feet because they figure I must have some goodies for them.

7. cptkracker

cptkracker Out Of The Brooder

Jul 11, 2010
    Thanks! So far it sounds like I'm on the right track. And for the record i don't want to cuddle my chickens just be able to wrk with them easier [​IMG]

8. NC29mom

NC29mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Scotland Neck, NC
    Quote:Well, I didn't mean literally "cuddle". I was just using as meaning "friendly". Though, to now think about it, cuddling with a chicken could be quite a site. makes me laugh just to think about it. I wish you luck. My BO's won't let me TOUCH them. They will gather around my feet for treats, but that's about it. But, they are older hens also that we got from an auction. Who knows where they have been and what they have been through.

I've got a whole barn full of chicks now! I have been using noodleroos method in hopes they will let me handle them. So far, so good. We shall see the older they get.

9. noodleroo

noodleroo Snuggles with Chickens

Apr 29, 2010
    Rockport, Tx
    NC29mom; just wait until you're sitting with the chickens and one decides to sit on your chest so she can stretch out her neck and snuggle it right next to your neck. I think its so sweet when mine do that. Its kinda like they're giving you a 'hug'. Late in the evening just before they go to roost is the most likely time to get your hugs....

10. WhiteMountainsRanch

WhiteMountainsRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    I have a flock of 25 week old SLW and my trick was when they were babies I sat right next to them for hours, just reading and petting them. Now they are SO tame! They wont even move away from my feet when I am trying to walk! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by