Chickens being mean

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Newfarmer36, Jan 19, 2018.

1. Newfarmer36

Newfarmer36 Songster

Dec 31, 2017
    West Monroe, Louisiana
    2 weeks ago, I bought 2 silver laced Wyandotte batams. That's long enough for them to get to know my other chickens, right? Every night when I go to let the chickens in the coop, my big rooster and the hens kick them off of their perch and make them go sleep elsewhere. I have 2 different parts to the coop and they make them sleep in one part while they sleep in the other. Are they ever gonna start being nice to where they all sleep together?:confused:

Hamiam and [email protected] like this.
  2. Trish1974

Trish1974 Crowing

Mar 16, 2016
    North Central IN
    My Coop
    No, that's not enough time. Did you do any type of slow integration or just throw them in together? It took 4 months for my 2 new hens to be settled in. Plus chickens in general are like a group of mean teenage girls so there will always be squabbling.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2018
  3. Newfarmer36

Newfarmer36 Songster

Dec 31, 2017
    West Monroe, Louisiana
    They were in a big kennel in the coop at night for a week. Then I opened the door and let them come out on their own for a few days. I let my hens and rooster out every evening to free range for a few hours and while their doing that, I leave the batams in the coop.

4. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Crowing

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    Chickens roost in the same place nearly every night. If somebody is in their place and that chicken is lower in the pecking order then they will be forcibly moved. 2 weeks is no where near long enough for the newbies to have established the place in the pecking order. Usually takes 2-3 months sometimes.

5. Newfarmer36

Newfarmer36 Songster

Dec 31, 2017
    West Monroe, Louisiana
    I put a heat lamp by where my rooster and hens slept. The 2 batams slept in a different part of the coop where it was dark and chilly(The heat from the lamp doesn't heat that part)The next night, they kicked the batams off of their perch and now they're the ones that sleep by the lamp.

6. Newfarmer36

Newfarmer36 Songster

Dec 31, 2017
    West Monroe, Louisiana
    I just bought 3 older chicks. They're about to be put in the mix. I did this all wrong!

7. AllenK RGV

AllenK RGV Chicken Addict

I know don't we all miss the time our daughters were in that 8-9 year old phase where they could hold our hand in public. Man if hitting rewind on life were possible I would relive those years over and over forever. As my daughter turned into a tween then a teen well I was only good for money. You are right chicken are just like a bunch of drama queen teens and my heart bleeds for the one at the bottom of the pecking order. I am seriously thinking she needs to become a house pet.

Totally unrelated post to actual chicken(just the analogy).

8. AllenK RGV

AllenK RGV Chicken Addict

Well no matter the mistakes you feel you may have made there isn't a professional liscensing board to censure you. I think it is safe to say reflect on your mistakes and make improvments going forward. Thank you for sharing this story.

Eryniel, Hamiam, Newfarmer36 and 4 others like this.
  9. Trish1974

Trish1974 Crowing

Mar 16, 2016
    North Central IN
    My Coop
    Don't beat yourself up about it, just chalk it up to a learning experience. I'm sure every member on here has made at least one mistake chicken keeping. Anyway, its best to do the see-but-don't-touch method for AT LEAST a couple weeks. Have the newbies in a separate area where your old flock can see them but not interact. Then if possible get them closer to where there is just a fence between them so they can somewhat interact without fighting. I like @aart's method of sprinkling some scratch along said fence to where they interact closely while eating but again not be able to fight. I did 2 weeks for each of those steps, then slowly let the new ones in with the established flock (an hour a day, then 2 hours a days, and so on) until I was certain they wouldn't kill each other. How old are the chicks you just bought?

10. Newfarmer36

Newfarmer36 Songster

Dec 31, 2017
    West Monroe, Louisiana
    I have boys but I get what you're saying. :)

[email protected] and Hamiam like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: