1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chickens being pesky

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jesus freak, Sep 17, 2011.

1. jesus freak

jesus freak Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2011
    Idaho
    My chickens keep getting in to my moms bark and taking dirt baths. As you might have guessed my mom is not to happy about this does anyone have any idea how to keep them out? [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 17, 2011
  2. TigerLilly

TigerLilly I failed Chicken Math

Jul 18, 2010
    Central Florida
    Unless you put fencing around it, they're not going to stay out. Dirt baths are what chickens do.
    It might help if you put a box with some DE (or something similar) mixed in with some dirt to put in their run, but if they free-range, their going to find dirt somewhere...

3. pippsqueak

pippsqueak Out Of The Brooder

Jun 20, 2011
    Grants Pass
    Its so normal for them to do it. It also helps with mites with they get older and it cools them off. I would fence it off or just let them be. Its probably not easy to train a chicken. LOL

4. Fierlin1182

Fierlin1182 powered-flight

Aug 26, 2011
    I'd go with fencing too. We have vegetable patches that used to get dug up ALL the time: some wire mesh works well. Just make sure it's not low enough for them to fly over!

5. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    One word Fence!! I have three gardens & three fences. If you live in the country use a small mess wire to keep other critters out as well.

6. ccrow

ccrow Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2010
    Southern Maine
    I put bird netting fences around my garden beds that I didn't want them in... I left access to their 'spa' under my lilac bush. They have just recently figured out how to get into one of the beds, after the fencing being there for over 4 months, so it should work for awhile at least. I'm thinking of trying some kind of netting, or maybe chicken wire, on the ground next year; just something to keep them from being able to dig, and that the plants can come up through. I don't use the bark mulch, though; as that would have to be on top of any netting on the ground, I'm sure they wouldn't leave it alone.

7. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    My chickens will not leave the mulch alone!!! Luckily, it's only around one small tree we are trying to grow.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by