Chickens being stolen

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by cajunlizz, May 27, 2008.

1. cajunlizz

cajunlizz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    WELL , I experienced neighborhood boys that seem to be in love with my chickens . They opened the gate to my back yard and this is what I found .

I had 6 - 9 week old chicks stolen right out their cages . I had 2 witnesses that seen the boys in the yard , and offered to bring me to their home to try and recover them . I managed to recover 3 out of 6 .

I filed a police report and filed charges . Officer went to their home and arrested the oldest boy .

I was SO UPSET , I knew I could at least VENT in here . [​IMG]

Last edited: May 27, 2008
  2. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    [​IMG] So sorry you had to go through this! [​IMG]

This is the very reason we have locks on every door for our coops and runs!

Hope you're able to get them all back!

Dawn

3. CarlaRiggs

CarlaRiggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Oh, brother.....
    I'd like to know how their parents reacted to all this. [​IMG]

If you can dig up the good will [​IMG] , you may want to offer to help the boys build a coop/run and purchase their own chicks. This would keep them busy, smooth out relations in the neighborhood (you don't want any more trouble) and have some kids who will enjoy chickens.

I'm glad that some of the neighbors were willing to help you... and sorry that you only were able to retrieve three of the chicks.
    Did the boys say what happened to the other three?
    This must be so frustrating for you. I think I'd want to hit someone if I were in the same boat.

Carla

4. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    :mad: What were they thinking!!!!

5. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Oh my! That is terrible. [​IMG] Now it doesn't seem so crazy that my DH insisted on putting a lock on my coop. I thought he was over doing it, but now that I've read you story I am thankful he put the lock on my coop. I am soooo sorry that you had to deal with this. [​IMG] I'm curious as to what the parents said to you. Did they not wonder where these boys got the chickens from??? [​IMG]

6. hlyndes

hlyndes Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2008
    H-Town Texas
    I am so sorry! I hope you find something out about the other 3...do they have any ideas where they might be?

7. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Sure hope you can get the other three back. Those boys are down the wrong track for sure if they trespass AND steal. Where are the parents?

8. chickenshadow

chickenshadow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2008
    Iowa
    Quote:Now that is a fantastic idea. Drop the charges and give them a few chickens.
    This is assuming they stole them because they wanted them, not for a sick reason.

You will truly teach the kids a lesson on many levels.

9. msrma7670

msrma7670 Chillin' With My Peeps

They needn a bit mo than jails i think. Like clean ya coop for the entire summer plus sum.
    sorry to ear them did dat.
    My husban n i wish ya well

10. Bi0sC0mp

Bi0sC0mp Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2008
    Raiford,FLA
    paint ball gun time pop them little no goods in ther but a few times with a paint ball gun

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by