Chickens- best audience for a backyard musician

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by Elbowmarie, Oct 30, 2011.

1. Elbowmarie

Elbowmarie Out Of The Brooder

Oct 21, 2011
    The 'burg
    I'm a ukulele player, and while I get too nervous to play many gigs- the girls are my biggest fans. I've been trying to figure out how to get a picture of Cheepers sitting on my knee in the yard while I play.

Anyone else out there a uke player? Or, anyone else out there playing to their flock?

2. HappyPlace

HappyPlace Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2011
    Middle of the Mitten
    I'm not a ukulele player, but I admire those that do. It's not a "usual" instrument, but I love the sound of it. [​IMG] Do you have anyone that can take the picture for you? Maybe you could set your camera on a timer?

I don't really play for my birds, but I do sing. [​IMG] I don't like singing in front of anyone, but my cats and chicks hear it quite a bit. They must enjoy it... They sit on their roosts and sing with me when I check their coop. [​IMG]

3. Lunachick

Lunachick Chicken Slave

Mar 19, 2007
    Brick, NJ
    I'll play my hand drums and the chickens don't seem to care [​IMG] But my cats like it!!

I like the sound of the uke too. [​IMG] What kind of songs do you play for your chickies?

4. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    I played my recorder for my girls and they seemed to like it ok but then I got comments from my neighbor on my playing (positive comments) and it embarassed me. So now my playing is indoors LOL. Violin too. But there's no way I'd make my girls listen to my violin playing! [​IMG]

5. Kaeta44

Kaeta44 Chillin' With My Peeps

6. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    when i was little i used to read stories to our farm piglets!!!!

7. Elbowmarie

Elbowmarie Out Of The Brooder

Oct 21, 2011
    The 'burg
    ah! I love the idea of reading stories!
    I'm always looking for an excuse to read out loud- changes the way I internalize the story. I think tomorrow may be a "story time" sort of day, I've got a book of poetry I've been meaning to crack into.

8. m.kitchengirl

m.kitchengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Maine
    I play mandolin and am a big fan of playing in the yard (I think it just feels more like a bluegrass festival that way). The chickens are a nice audience but my ducks are MUCH more appreciative.
    The ducks are not terribly social with strangers, but if we all congregate on the porch and play during band rehearsal or to jam, the ducks come right in the midst of us and happily quack around.
    I sing to them all the time.
    I call the chickens by singing a song I got from John Hartford, "Chicken, Oh Chicken". I have bluegrassbergers syndrome, and there is no cure.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by