chickens breaking eggs

kelyeliot

In the Brooder
12 Years
Sep 27, 2007
Western New York
I have 6 chickens. 3 have been laying for a couple of months with no problems, but now I think my 22 week chickens is breaking the eggs before I can get to them. Any suggestions?

There are nesting boxes you can make/buy that have a slope to them that let the eggs roll back under the 'back' of the box to a collection area where the hens can't reach them.

If you aren't able to check more frequently, that may be the easy fix.

Also, is she eating the eggs, or just accidentally breaking them? Some here have broken egg eaters by lacing an egg with tobasco sauce, etc.

Quote:
Thanks!!!!! I check them frequently. I'll try the hot sauce. In the beginning they were accidental breaks, but now the new chicks really like them now.

I had the very same problem with cracked eggs. One of the posters on here put me wise to chickens only eating eggs that are broken/ cracked. I just happen to be standing by one of the nest when the hen layed and the egg made a terrible thump when it hit the bottom of the nest. My nests are contructed of 1 x 4s so they are solid. I lined the bottom of each nest with cardboard (all I could think of at the time) and so far, the last two days I've had zero cracked and none eaten. Just my experience, lately. Something to consider, hope it helps.
gmc

Back
Top Bottom