Chickens bringing "presents"?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by MichelleKing, Jun 19, 2019.

1. MichelleKing

MichelleKing Songster

Aug 25, 2018
    Ohio
    Has anyone ever had one of their chickens bring them a "present"? Similar to how a cat would? I really feel like no one will believe this, but it happened this morning and I dont know whether to be amazed or disturbed.

So this morning around 530am I let all the chickens out of their enclosed run to free range just like I do every morning. Nothing remarkable there.

My bantam frizzle polish, Alexa, disappears under my deck and I'm like well sh*t. But, I know she'll come back and she's done it before so I just let it go. I get the girls' treats all prepared and go in the run to disperse said treats. The gals follow me in as usual and start eating their treats and food and such....except Alexa. She didnt come back out from under the deck. So I said ok, she'll come sometime. I sat down, waited for her, and started my workday on my swing that is next to the run.

About an hour goes by and I see something out of the corner of my eye. Its Alexa and she's carrying something in her beak. She walks RIGHT UP TO ME, and drops a dead tiny baby bird at my feet. Then just stands there.

Um.... what.

I said ok alexa, ummmmmm. And I didnt know what to do. So I picked Alexa up and put her back in the run, where she just went about her business as usual. I then disposed of the dead bird; I think it was one of the robin's babies that probably fell out of the nest in the tree near the run.

So anyways. Maybe a coincidence and maybe not, but I'm interested to know if anyone has ever had an "experience" like this?

2. I have not had that experience but i believe you.

MichelleKing and HuffleClaw like this.
  3. HuffleClaw

HuffleClaw Addicted to Birds

Jul 8, 2018
    Alabama
    x2

4. Brahma Chicken5000

Brahma Chicken5000 Araucana Addict

Sep 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    How interesting. I’m sure @centrarchid will be interested.

MichelleKing and HuffleClaw like this.
  5. Shorty22366

Shorty22366 Songster

Jan 1, 2018
    Hobgood, North Carolina
    I never had it happen but it is a sweet jester.

MichelleKing likes this.
  6. centrarchid

centrarchid Free Ranging

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    What I see that may be similar is a chicken is exhausted trying to get a prey item ready for swallowing. Exhaustion can be from attempts at processing or being chases by others trying to steal booty.

I have chicks that sometimes run to me carrying a leopard froglet for much the same reason. It is not for me, rather a location birds feels safe to prepare to eat.

7. MichelleKing

MichelleKing Songster

Aug 25, 2018
    Ohio
    That makes sense. And yet, still highly disturbing that my little Alexa (bird) would eat another bird.... ewe.

8. It’s protein and probably wouldn’t have lived.

What I was thinking of was mama hens and Roos tidbitting but I guess the safe space theory makes more sense.

9. Okay that was harsh. What I meant is that they are opportunists and at least the baby bird wasn’t wasted.

10. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    But it's 'natural'.

Willowspirit likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: