Chickens brings about family time

abenardini

Songster
7 Years
We're just like every other family out there. Husband and I work full-time, kids have their own hobbies, and one of the coolest things about chickens is they bring out some great family time. Our daughter and I spend at least 30 minutes to 2-3 hours a day (usually the latter timing-wise) with the birds on a daily basis.

Our young roo who daughter has named "White Knight" is super sweet, alongside Tux (the black female in the pics,) LOVES people and is sassy toward other birds. Then we have Omelet because when she lays down, she is flat like an omelet (previously dubbed poop wing because a bird pooped on one of her wings and she had a stained feather...I asked daughter to pick a new name, hence Omelet). Then we have Raptor, who had super ugly baby feathers that caused her wing joints to stick out very gangly - - and she's clean faced 🤦‍♀️.

And of course, a full listing of the birds below.

Roo: White Knight (we are planning to keep him as our primary rooster for our projects)
Roo: Featherfoot (not a great specimen of Ameraucana - has a few stray leg feathers)
Pullet: Tux
Pullet: Omelet
Pullet: Puffs
Pullet: Raptor (not a great specimen of Ameraucana - is clean faced and has no beard or muffs)
Pullet: Quicksilver
Pullet: Hawkeye

We've debated whether we would cull or rehome the two aberrant birds in our flock, and thinking we might rehome or might keep the pullet. Featherfoot is not the friendliest of birds and I don't mean he's unfriendly - he's just anti-social with humans and keeps his distance, which is not necessarily desirable in what we like as "pet chickens."

If we do sell birds, we will only sell as pet quality if we keep the two outliers (if we keep the two aberrant birds). We'll probably end up rehoming Featherfoot once he's crowing or as a meal to our in-laws, but Raptor is so sweet. We primarily got our flock for our own enjoyment and the obvious benefits of having fresh eggs. We've kept chickens for many years and took a break for a bit, due to local predation and losing multiple flocks (we're on 40 acres with a ton of local wildlife).

I threw in the towel this year and had to get a secured run and coop, which are quite large. I plan to add onto it in the next year or so where it'll be a T-shape.

Attachments

• image0 (16).jpeg
    image0 (16).jpeg
    49.8 KB · Views: 13
  • image2 (7).jpeg
    image2 (7).jpeg
    51.6 KB · Views: 4
  • image3 (6).jpeg
    image3 (6).jpeg
    59.1 KB · Views: 4
  • image4 (3).jpeg
    image4 (3).jpeg
    41.8 KB · Views: 5
  • image5 (3).jpeg
    image5 (3).jpeg
    86.1 KB · Views: 5
  • image7 (2).jpeg
    image7 (2).jpeg
    70.8 KB · Views: 5
  • image8 (2).jpeg
    image8 (2).jpeg
    74.4 KB · Views: 4
  • image9 (2).jpeg
    image9 (2).jpeg
    63.2 KB · Views: 5
We're just like every other family out there. Husband and I work full-time, kids have their own hobbies, and one of the coolest things about chickens is they bring out some great family time. Our daughter and I spend at least 30 minutes to 2-3 hours a day (usually the latter timing-wise) with the birds on a daily basis.

Our young roo who daughter has named "White Knight" is super sweet, alongside Tux (the black female in the pics,) LOVES people and is sassy toward other birds. Then we have Omelet because when she lays down, she is flat like an omelet (previously dubbed poop wing because a bird pooped on one of her wings and she had a stained feather...I asked daughter to pick a new name, hence Omelet). Then we have Raptor, who had super ugly baby feathers that caused her wing joints to stick out very gangly - - and she's clean faced 🤦‍♀️.

And of course, a full listing of the birds below.

Roo: White Knight (we are planning to keep him as our primary rooster for our projects)
Roo: Featherfoot (not a great specimen of Ameraucana - has a few stray leg feathers)
Pullet: Tux
Pullet: Omelet
Pullet: Puffs
Pullet: Raptor (not a great specimen of Ameraucana - is clean faced and has no beard or muffs)
Pullet: Quicksilver
Pullet: Hawkeye

We've debated whether we would cull or rehome the two aberrant birds in our flock, and thinking we might rehome or might keep the pullet. Featherfoot is not the friendliest of birds and I don't mean he's unfriendly - he's just anti-social with humans and keeps his distance, which is not necessarily desirable in what we like as "pet chickens."

If we do sell birds, we will only sell as pet quality if we keep the two outliers (if we keep the two aberrant birds). We'll probably end up rehoming Featherfoot once he's crowing or as a meal to our in-laws, but Raptor is so sweet. We primarily got our flock for our own enjoyment and the obvious benefits of having fresh eggs. We've kept chickens for many years and took a break for a bit, due to local predation and losing multiple flocks (we're on 40 acres with a ton of local wildlife).

I threw in the towel this year and had to get a secured run and coop, which are quite large. I plan to add onto it in the next year or so where it'll be a T-shape.
Beautiful birds. I’m an animal person and I really want to be able to hold and love on my girls, they aren’t too wild about that but I’m hoping with time…..🤗

Back
Top Bottom