1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chickens broken beak

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by lovemuffin0627, Sep 23, 2016.

1. lovemuffin0627

lovemuffin0627 New Egg

Mar 14, 2016
    Ohio
    My chickens beak got smashed I have pictures cleaned it with the peroxide and separated her from the flock haven't seen her eat yet I just am not sure on where to go from here? Will it heal on its own? I read about using glue gel but I want to know it's safe first? I'm new on here and new to having chickens haven't had any problems until now [​IMG]

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
  3. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

4. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Oh, no! That doesn't look good. Please head over to the "Emergencies/Diseases/Injuries and Cures" section for some advice. Hope your hen will be okay!

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Oh no, how did that happen? Hope it can be mended.

6. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Hello there, and thank you for joining us here at Backyard Chickens! I am sorry it is not under better circumstances though. I agree with the above posts, put her over in the emergence section and you will get better help. I have included a link to your state thread, you might like to talk to some semi local yokels over there. I hope you enjoy BYC and good luck with your poor chicken!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/12049/ohio-come-on-buckeyes-let-me-know-your-out-there

7. lovemuffin0627

lovemuffin0627 New Egg

Mar 14, 2016
    Ohio
    She got to close to the gate when I was closing it and before I could stop her or myself she stuck her beak in there when I closed it :/ thanks for the links they helped I'm keeping her separated from the others, I have five other hens

8. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Welcome to BYC! It's great to have you.

That is indeed a pretty nasty looking break, but thankfully beaks tend to heal pretty well. I usually just apply some Neosporin and leave them to heal. Make sure she's eating plenty, as beak injuries can discourage eating.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by