Chickens Brooding Turkey Eggs and Questions!!! (UPDATE...PICS)

SunnysMama

Chirping
6 Years
Feb 13, 2013
SE Idaho
Quick question...My daughter has turkeys that are brooding eggs and they have had 5 hatch but for some reason the mommas have started killing the babies as they hatch. We took the remaining eggs away from them and I currently have them under my broody hens (chickens). If they are viable eggs will the chickens be able to brood them until they hatch? After they hatch they will be taken to my daughter's brooder so they won't be with the chickens for very long.

Thanks for any advice!!

yes they will hatch most eggs! no problem,
thumbsup.gif

I just candled (okay, never done this before) all the turkey eggs that are under my broodies and I had 5 out of 13 that were blatantly obvious that they were no good. One of them I could actually see the baby poult moving around, 6 of them I could see the air sack but the other end of the egg was too dark to see anything. Are these eggs still good, and I did put them back under the hens. I have 1 egg that clearly has a crack in it round the middle of the egg and up to the pointed end. Is this egg hatching?

Sorry, I have kept chickens for a few years now but have never really been bitten by the incubating bug. Um yeah, I see that coming to an end and I'm sure much to my hubby's dismay!!
love.gif

I have an egg that has pipped this morning!! OMG, I have no idea what to do so I hope that the hen sitting on the egg does.
ep.gif

Is there anything special that I need to do??

Thank you for any help!!

Last edited:
Good luck, I set 6 turkey eggs under a broody cochin last Saturday. She is pretty protective of "her" eggs. I am going to add a few chicken eggs to her clutch today as I have heard that the baby turkeys will learn better if they have chicks to teach them how to eat and drink. LOL

The baby is starting to zip and I can hear it peeping. Okay, I know it's not as fun as hatching them yourself but I am beyond thrilled!!

Back
Top Bottom