Chickens & Bug Bites on kids legs...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ChobeeChickenMommy, Sep 15, 2011.

1. ChobeeChickenMommy

ChobeeChickenMommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2011
    Okeechobee, FL
    I'm not sure where I should post this question, but here goes...

I have 4 EE/mix breeds that I have had since July & 3 Silkies that I just got this past Sunday. I know my 4 mix breed had their vaccines from the feed store we bought them from, but I forgot to ask about the Silkies when I picked them up. But I am pretty sure they are good to go as well. Anyways, I have been told by quite a few people locally about chickens getting some kind of bugs that you can't see but they will bite you or your kids. Well after cleaning out the coop yesterday while my oldest two boys were gone w/ my DH & 7 month old outside watching I have noticed little bites all over the babies legs now... I don't want to be paranoid, but I don't want to be to passive about it either ya know. This is our first time raising chickens so I wanted to ask. Thank you all!

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    I wonder if they're talking about these tiny bugs that we call "no-see-ums". They are sort of like tiny gnats......Can you put something like cortizone cream on the babies legs? That will definitely help with the itch.

Oh, and sprinkle some Seven Dust around the coop and right on the chickens if you feel the need. It won't hurt a thing and you can still eat the eggs.

Sharon

3. ChobeeChickenMommy

ChobeeChickenMommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2011
    Okeechobee, FL
    No, I don't think it was no seeums... We were getting bit... I did sprinkle PE in their coop & run, but we are going to the feed store this weekend & I am going to grab some 7 dust just to be safe. He doesn't seem to be scratching at them lately. So IDK anymore.I just wanted to ask... [​IMG] Thank you!

4. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Google Poultry Protector. This seems like a no-down-side measure that can be employed just in case there are some mites around.
    JJ

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by