Chickens Burrowing

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by WV_Chicken, Dec 11, 2010.

1. WV_Chicken

WV_Chicken Out Of The Brooder

Sep 18, 2010
    Augusta, WV
    I got my first "egg" yesterday, but unfortunately they dropped it from their roosting bar and it broke when it landed on the water dispenser. This morning, I noticed that several of my hens are burrowing down in the pine shavings on the floor. They refuse to use the nesting boxes that I built. Is this burrowing behavior because they are nesting and ready to lay eggs or is it simply to keep them warm? Thanks.

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Are they wiggling around and throwing shavings on their backs? Sounds like dustbathing to me. My adult hens are in their favorite dustbathing hole this morning, throwing dirt everywhere. My pullets are also dustbathing, in the shavings of their coop.

3. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    When I checked on my broody and chicks a while ago, she was doing the same thing. What was cute was, some of the chicks had holllowed out their own spots and were asleep in them, too. This is in a dirt floor coop, in 60 degree weather; the mama had moved a fair amount of dirt. The flock was out in the sun; some were dustbathing, too.

I don't know what they're up to.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by