chicken's butt looks infected..pus...really gross

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by 10layingladies, Dec 13, 2011.

1. 10layingladies

10layingladies Out Of The Brooder

Jul 28, 2011
    I have a white leghorn who recently began loosing her feathers on her backside around her vent. She now has what looks like green pus all over her vent and surrounding area and her feathers are falling out back there as well. The surrounding feathers that are still there are brown and look wet.....her comb has dark spots on the ends as well.....the rest of her looks fine and she is still eating and drinking????? what should I do

2. EmAbTo48

EmAbTo48 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    Northern Wisconsin
    Clean her up and find if maybe she has a cut or small tear not visible from just looking at her. If you can clean it out good get some antibiotic for her she should be fine! Its a good sign shes eating and drinking still so check it right away so you can catch the infection before its to late.

Good luck!

I am sure more people will chime in on this eventually!

3. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    Gotta clean her bum and see what's under all that. It's not too late for maggot infestations if she's injured. Maybe she's prolapsed. Chicken bath time!

4. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Give her a good bath and a blow dry, then keep her some place warm overnight. Meanwhile you can get a better look at things.

5. GreenMeadows

GreenMeadows Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2011
    I had a roo that I noticed had a black dirty bumm and when I picked him up I almost puked. There were maggots all over him on the rear. I was gonna put him down but noticed he had mites on the rear and he was pecking at them and as he pecked he dug holes in the rear and it got infected and maggots came to visit. I washed him in warm water and put bagbalm on the bum and he is just fine. I then dusted all the birds for mites.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by