Chickens came with the house!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Afergtexas, Dec 18, 2016.

1. Afergtexas

Afergtexas New Egg

Dec 18, 2016
    Hello, We just bought a house and they left 3 female chickens in a coop in the backyard. I don't know where to start...any advice would be greatly appreciated. We live in Burleson, TX. Any guess on what breed they are I'll take too. [​IMG]

2. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under Afergtexas [​IMG] Welcome!

Congratulations on your new feathered family. Sorry, I can not see them very well in that picture to take a guess at what breed. I am also not good at which breed is what but if you can post some good profile shots of them, someone should be able to assist.

I recommend a visit to the Learning Centre; lots of good tips there: https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

You might want to say hello on your local thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you ‘Find your State’s thread.

I hope you enjoy BYC. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends [​IMG]

3. Afergtexas

Afergtexas New Egg

Dec 18, 2016
    I I know this isn't much better but I'm afraid to let them out. I'll try a close up in morning. [​IMG]

4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hello and welcome to BYC - thanks for joining us. How nice to have chickens all ready and waiting for you in your new place! You have some great links from @Teila and sorry, I can't help with the breed either. If you can get better pics, you can post on the gender / breed forum - https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/15/what-breed-or-gender-is-this

I hope that you enjoy your chicken-keeping experience!

Best wishes
    CT

5. N F C

N F C eggnog time! Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Hope all of you are enjoying the chickens, raising poultry can be a great hobby for the entire family.

If you have questions, feel free to ask!

6. RodNTN

RodNTN Following Jesus

May 22, 2013
    The USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG] I am glad you joined us! You have received some great advice and links, so I'll just say thanks for joining and best wishes!

7. Percheron chick

Percheron chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2013
    Boulder, Colorado
    Chickens instinctively return to the coop at dusk. You can open the door to the run about 30 mins before bedtime. They will not wander far and they will put themselves to bed. Leave the dogs and kids in the house to start.

Look like production reds.

8. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Queen of the Coop Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    [​IMG]

9. birdwrangler057

birdwrangler057 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2016
    South Carolina

:welcome

10. birdwrangler057