Chickens can drink from the weirdest places -pics-

GammaPoppyLilyFlutter

Love Comes with Feathers
9 Years
Jun 26, 2010
California
This evening, I attempted a photo shoot. However, my pullets weren't very photogenic tonight.

Until they came upon the fire pit and decided they were thirsty.

The fire pit hasn't been used in years, and it's been washed out by rain. Since I'm in California, there's only rain. No snow. Since there was recent rain (a LOT of rain) the fire pit is full of water.

DSC_0015.jpg

Yes, they are drinking water right from the fire pit. Sorry it's so dark, it was taken in the evening.

DSC_0017.jpg

Now, the chickens have a lot of perfect water dishes scattered around the yard in case they get thirsty. However, they prefer the crazy little tins that are NOT water dishes, like some containers under the grill that are also filled with rainwater. But this is the first time they drank out of this.

DSC_0018.jpg

I would just fill a bucket or two, as well, if it weren't for my Cayuga pair o' ducks trying to get all the way into buckets with water in 'em. Chickens deserve SOME clean water.

Even if the chickens do drink out of the goldfish pond, the ducks' water/splash tub, and icky puddles everybody has just trodden through.

Last edited:
Quote:
Oh, I do. There are numerous clean water dishes scattered around the yard for them to drink from, but their favorite water dishes are the ones that just happen to be there, not that are set specifically for them.

Quote:
Oh, I do. There are numerous clean water dishes scattered around the yard for them to drink from, but their favorite water dishes are the ones that just happen to be there, not that are set specifically for them.

At least your chickens go for actual containers.
roll.png
Ours will take a tiny puddle made by a little spilled water over their actual waterer.

Quote:

At least your chickens go for actual containers.
roll.png
Ours will take a tiny puddle made by a little spilled water over their actual waterer.

They do that too.
DSC_0183.jpg

See the cracks in between the bricks on the patio? If it's wet, they will slurp up the water that's trapped in there
lol.png

Mine will walk by the clean waterer to get to the puddle outdoors, every time, to the point I'm tempted to quit filling waterers. I did put the heaviest one away.

Back
Top Bottom