Chickens can lay more than one egg in a day...I just witnessed it!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by countrycakelady, Aug 16, 2013.

1. countrycakelady

countrycakelady Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2012
    Eastern NC
    My little white Orpington, Wouiser ( think 'Steele Magnolias', Shirley McLaine), flew out of the pen this morning...she decided that she needed a new place to lay her EGGS...she laid #2# eggs in dh's old Ford tractor seat! If I had not seen this, I would have thought I was crazy..she had not laid in several days...so I guess she was just catching up......got 13 eggs today out of 14 chickens, not a bad day. *****THE DATE SHOULD BE FOR TODAY, NEED TO ADJUST CAMERA DATE! :***[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 16, 2013
  2. chooks4life

chooks4life Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
    Leghorns are one of the breeds known to lay two eggs a day. Your chook is a white Leghorn, not a white Orp. ;)

3. countrycakelady

countrycakelady Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2012
    Eastern NC
    Oopps!!! She was termed as a 'white orp' on her bin sign when I purchased her....learn something new every day don't you? :)

4. chooks4life

chooks4life Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
    Lol, yeah, the forums are full of 'imposters' people were sold under another breed's name. I bought 10 chicks in one go, meant to be Light Sussex, Black Orp, and Buff Orp. I got not one purebred among them! Some of the genes I ended up with were Leghorn, Dorking, Brahma, Speckled Sussex, etc. I asked for all female and got two males.

Though I'm surprised after the way the woman 'sexed' them that any were male. I was watching, thinking, 'well, if they were males, they're females now!' She held them in one hand, squinted off into the distance, and jammed three stiff fingers into the chick's abdomen without looking. The chicks all gasped and went pale and limp with shock. Who knows, maybe some more were male before she did that. Jokes. ;)

Maybe it has something to do with why both males turned aggressive....

Last edited: Aug 16, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by