Chickens Can Love Too!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Lipkis, Nov 3, 2007.

1. Lipkis

Lipkis Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2007
    Kennesaw, GA
    I am a firm believer that animals have feelings, have fun, and dream.

What they feel, how they have fun, and what they dream of is beyond me but I believe that chickens can do it too. I also believe that they can feel love! Especially when it is amongst sisters.

If I pick up one pullet and put her away from her sisters her sisters will look around for her and she frantically run towards them where they seem happy to be reuinted. I believe that they love to. When picked up and perched on mom and my arm they sit there happily placid as can be.

They enjoy being pet and being talked to. They are just like little children. Little children that make breakfast. As I've observed my chickens grow from tiny fluffy peeping things into larger and cuddlier birds I started to feel that they are no different than a cat and a dog. I truly believe that they enjoy being with each other! I truly believe that they love each other like sisters. See, they're happy together!

[​IMG]

Does anyone else have stories about their chickens being in love with either each other or you? I'd love to hear!

2. thndrdancr

thndrdancr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2007
    Belleville, Kansas
    Well I KNOW they can feel jealousy. I was just about fed up with my chickens the other night, I swear.
    My fave pullet is Fussy, and she KNOWS it. Well I have two new little ones, and after putting the big girls to bed (in the kitchen, yep I am crazy) I had the little ones out. Well I was telling one of the lil ones they were "good girls". This was NOT allowable apparently. I can talk to them, but I guess I am NOT allowed to tell them they are "good girls". (I was tryin to teach them tricks, sigh).
    Fussy started pickin on her buddy then she leaped out of her box (lifted up a 10 lb screen I keep on top) and FLEW out, and proceeded to want my attention. She has NEVER done this before! So now I have to give her extra special attention before she goes to bed or she is not happy. I love that silly chicken to pieces.
    She jumps on my shoulder still and proceeds to preen my hair, even tho she is quite the chunk. Crazy girl!

3. Blisschick

Blisschick not rusty

Feb 20, 2007
    Shepherd, Texas
    I read somewhere not too long ago that chickens can recognize up to 100 different chickens (like we would people), and that they do have their preferences as to who they want to hang out with. Roosters have been known to grieve for lost hens, and when a well liked member of the flock is missing, others will look for them. Roosters even have their favorites among their girls.

I myself have noticed that there are certain hens that like to hang out together, and that they prefer a certain roo over another. I've seen roos be depressed when their kicked down a notch, so I pay special attention to them to let them know they're still 'men' and not let their egos get too deflated. Right now I've got two that I've got running loose just so they can get their dignity (and tail feathers) back.

(I'm not promoting the websites where I found the information, just providing some links.)

http://www.chickenindustry.com/cfi/intelligence/

http://www.goveg.com/f-hiddenliveschickens.asp

4. SeaChick

SeaChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2007
    Southern Maine
    Well, the other 4 girls were all quite upset when Hazel got aken out of the group. The cried and ran around looking for her, very worried. They got over it pretty quickly, but it was definitely noticeable.

5. chicknmania

chicknmania Overrun With Chickens

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    Absolutely chickens have their own relationsips, and I think that's part of what makes them so fascinating to us chicken fanatics...because we can relate. Our Speckled Sussex roo had two SS hens of his own, and they palled around together. He lost one to a raccoon last spring. He and the other hen became inseparable...they were together always. Recently she survived a hawk attack, but it must've come back and got her ten days later, cause she's gone, although we never saw anytning. Poor Lil Dude has been sulking in the barn ever since...he will not socialize with the others, although there are a few other small hens, he rarely crows, and is obviously very lonely. We are looking for another SS hen or two for him. When my Whitey roo's sister died (of probably old age or something related) a couple years ago, she fell from the rafter where she had been roosting, and we found Whitey huddled beside her dead body. It was heartbreaking. Lastly, we have one pullet who hatched about six weeks ago and recently joined the flock. The first night, her step mom hen flew to the rafters to roost, leaving Uno behind, as she can't fly that high yet. Next morning, Raven, (the step-mom) ran around the barn among all the others, making horrible noises, til she FINALLy found Uno....she's been showing her around ever since.
    Whitey used to come and lie down beside me in the sunshine when I sat outside. I had a unique relationship with that rooster that I've never had with another...and I know there's lots of people here that can say the same.

6. Scrambled Egg

Scrambled Egg Flock Mistress

Aug 29, 2007
    Fayetteville, NC
    I don't know about the love part but I agree with the jealousy! Just ask Margaret to tell you about Rosey pecking her on top of the head when I was holding her the other day, haha!! Rosey is boss hog in my flock!!

7. chicknmania

chicknmania Overrun With Chickens

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    And speaking of jealousy..one more story about that...our Checker roo (a barred cochin) heads our flock, but we have six other roosters. One of my favorites, Jack Frost (Whitey's son) is at the bottom of the pecking order. but he keeps trying. Checker regularly puts him in his place. The other day I was out there talking to Jack Frost, building up his ego, admiring his new tail, etc. Checker came over and chased him away. It was really funny...I guess JF isn't allowed to have any relationships with people, either! He is allowed one hen...our one remaining white Silkie, that the other roos think is a bit odd looking....

8. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

I agree.
    When Tom was killed by a raccoon, Jerry whimpered and cried because he missed her. He just wanted to lay under the dining room table all day. When Slifer and Obelisk came, he was thrilled to have company. You could just see him light up.
    When I had to rehome Jerry, Slifer and Obelisk looked for him all over, and I had to tell them that he wasn't coming back.
    I lost Slifer Aug 06, Obelisk walked around the house calling for her in that I've lost my friend voice. I let her sit with her buddy's body until I was able to take care of it...
    Obelisk was a single chicken from Aug til Dec when Penny came. Obelisk couldn't stand her new friend. They get along alright now, but if Penny's broody, Obelisk yanks out her neck feathers. It's like the little sister following around the big sister in the yard.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by