Chickens can't count, or can they?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by gritsar, May 31, 2010.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Despite the 95 degree weather my hens are on a laying spree. Eight eggs so far and more hens on the nests.
    Maggie, my (only) bantam brahma is doing something weird.
    She was on the nest when I went out to feed treats. She must have heard the rooster call treat time because she came running out of the coop to get her share. Two other hens chose to stay on the nests and skip treat time. While Maggie was out, I went in and took her egg. She had laid it in the nestbox that has all the golf balls (13) in it - my futile attempt at getting a broody.
    As soon as I came back up to the house I heard the egg song, so I went back out to the coop, thinking one of the other hens had finished.
    I found Maggie, standing in front of the nest she had recently left, screeching her fool head off. We've been timing her and she's kept it up for 30+ minutes.
    I know chickens can't count, so what in the blue blazes is she doing?? I'm half tempted to take her egg back out to her. [​IMG]

2. PineappleMama

PineappleMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Well, all that hard work... and what thanks do you get... hehe... might be worth it to give it back... maybe she's ready to brood?

Though your title made me think of a thing I saw...

Think a dog can't count? Put two treats in your pocket and then only give them one.

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Hehe! And that reminds me of something. DH is trying to teach Kane (my pup) to speak, like his big brother does. Kane has no interest at all in barking and refuses to do it to get a treat. DH gets frustrated with trying and finally lays the treat down somewhere. Kane goes and finds the treat. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by