Chickens can't find way out!

QuirkyGoddess

In the Brooder
Jul 2, 2018
Yakima, Washington state
So...I added to my run with a repurposed (tall) dining table and chicken wire on the sides and bottom. First chicken to explore the run did it in the heat of the day AND COULDN'T FIND HER WAY OUT! It IS six inches lower than their usual run and in an area that was previously uncontained, obviously.
Sure, i could ADD structure/boards..but where does that stop?
Come on chicks, get it together! Suggestions?!
(Tried to add pict. But camera not cooperating)

Ok its one foot/ twelve inches up and down to the existing system...but there is a ladder. There is also a different chicken in there now! Probably pecking flax seed and sunflower seeds i put in to seed (Yes, they both will seed, i have tested) there is still shade currently. and water.
1531685225896-2073925515.jpg

I swear, there is a chicken in the picture!...her name is Rory, welsummer, lowest in the pecking order of the three chick flock.
Also, my chicks don't seem to get LADDERS. (Which could add to problem here)

The first thing I’d say is that the money you spent on chicken wire was wasted, it won’t keep out a dog or raccoon .Also as we’ve seen around our farm it will break down fast .. as in the wire will break.

Ok now getting them in and out of a thing that small may be difficult, they want you to guide them and I’m assuming you don’t fit under the table ??

I’m not quiet sure what your vision is for this set up ...

I just had a thought, why not make a platform and eliminate the ramp ? So they come out of coop on one level , then step down to another, think big steps

:welcome The birds will figure it out eventually, they will need a little time. Most of the time predators roam at night so If you shut your birds up at night there should be no problem. I have chicken wire around the perimeter of my pens and nothing will touch the wire or they will get a shock. I have touched it a few times over the years and It made my heart skip a few beats.
IMG_20180503_094047.jpg

I also have some game cameras set up in different spots and I see critters roaming around at night, including coons once in awhile. Mostly fox and coyotes.

I had a hen get lost in their run and she had been using the run since she was a just a little thing. But, for some reason, that day, she could not find her way out of the run. Mind you, there had been no changes to the run or the yard. I would say she was having a senior moment, but she wasn't even a year old at the time! Chickens are just weird and I love that about them! lol

:welcome The birds will figure it out eventually, they will need a little time. Most of the time predators roam at night so If you shut your birds up at night there should be no problem. I have chicken wire around the perimeter of my pens and nothing will touch the wire or they will get a shock. I have touched it a few times over the years and It made my heart skip a few beats.
View attachment 1469368
WOW! That's quite a set up. I'm jealous:)

I considered more hardware cloth...already used a bit chicken wire, so security is already compromised. And money.
A lot of issues concerning door (and materials)- but thats a different thread.
Mine is a urban coop, a fenced in backyard.
Will definitely look in to wide steps to transition levels

I just recently put some chicks in the chick coop. They have been in a little over a week. I'm going to let them out in a small pen. Usually at first they are reluctant to go out but one becomes brave and goes out if only for a moment to test it and eventually ventures a little further and then a little further and then another chick will start to venture until they are all out. They are quite cute to watch.

Back
Top Bottom