Chickens cant fly out so far

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Runfox, Sep 27, 2010.

1. Runfox

Runfox Out Of The Brooder

Nov 4, 2009
    When I first set my chickens up I didn't realize how easy they could fly over a four foot fence. I lost a Rooster in the process. Taking you all's advice , I found some 7' deer netting and put some bambo sticks up and then attached the netting all around. Thus raising my chain link fence to 7' high. So far , so good. I saw a chicken flying away from the rooster and she hit the net and came down. Guess she didn't see the net and thought see would fly over the fence. One saved chicken. The only thing I I have to watch is some times they get up on my chicken coop roof, then up on the blue tarp. I guess if they tried to they could fly out but so far the just come back down. I am not going to net the whole thing, if they can get out of that , then their just risking their own necks. I can only do so much, but so far they are happy and safe.

I saw a hawk fly up on a tree in the back of my woods one day. I watched the hawk and my chickens to see what would happen. The Rooster, Mr Wigglesworth, not my name we got him from some one, had his neck stretched up looking around. The hens must have tuned in on him cause they all froze and didn't move an inch, all huddled under the chicken coop. As soon as the hawk flew away, the Rooster relaxed and the the hens returned to normal. So the rooster is a pretty good look out, I have no idea how he knew that hawk was there , it was way up in tree, some 20' back.

I let the chickens out in the back yard one day when the dogs were put away.

[​IMG]

So far the space seams large enough for all 10 chickens, I was thinking I would need to close them up in the fenced coop each night. But I haven't seen any predators nor problems yet. They go in and perch on the wood ladder I have leaning in the fenced area each night.

[​IMG]

You can see the green bamboo sticks and netting there. Thanks for all the advice so far.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by