Chickens can't jump up into nesting boxes or roosts???

ophelia3178

Chirping
Jun 16, 2014
Montreal, QC, Canada
I have 6 beautiful chickens, and my two Delawares seem to be unable to hop up onto the roost or nesting areas of their newly built coop. It is not that high up, the rest of my chickens do it. Plus they have jumped up there before, and I have watched them attempt, fail, and then sleep on the bottom mesh. One of them, Pinto seems like she is about to jump and then she gives up, then she does it again. She may try to actually jump, but if she fails (99% of the time) she stops trying. The other girl, Pepper does not even try, she just sleeps on the bottom. So is it the chickens or is it the coop?

Thanks!:)

I have 6 beautiful chickens, and my two Delawares seem to be unable to hop up onto the roost or nesting areas of their newly built coop. It is not that high up, the rest of my chickens do it. Plus they have jumped up there before, and I have watched them attempt, fail, and then sleep on the bottom mesh. One of them, Pinto seems like she is about to jump and then she gives up, then she does it again. She may try to actually jump, but if she fails (99% of the time) she stops trying. The other girl, Pepper does not even try, she just sleeps on the bottom. So is it the chickens or is it the coop?

Thanks!:)
Sorry to say....it's the coop. That roost bar is way too small for your birds! What I would do is first get rid of that set of nesting boxes on the right side entirely. The remaining nest boxes are more than sufficient. Then build yourself a proper roost, which includes using a 2 x 4 laying FLAT so the girls can rest on their feet and also keep warmer during winter months. They should have at least 1 foot per bird along the roost to give them room. Hard to tell from the picture, but it looks like if you get rid of that set of nesting boxes on the right you could do something like this:

This is my setup but yours doesn't have to be that "deep" .. just build it according to how much room you've gained by the removal of the boxes. I use Sweet PDZ granular in my "poop tray" .... BEST THING..EVER!! Daily cleanup is a snap, 3-4 minutes tops!

One other thing I just noticed....you have your nesting boxes quite high off the floor. Always remember, your nesting boxes need to be lower than the roosting area.

Hope this helps some!
frow.gif

Last edited:
will send a picture of the updated coop
Great! This way your roost/poop tray setup will be "facing the nesting boxes" on opposite sides of the walls. You should probably move your nesting boxes down to where they are no more than 12" off the floor. Slap up a 1 x 6 across the bottom front of the boxes, too....gives them a bit more privacy and you won't be losing nesting material all the time. When you do get your roost/poop tray built you will then have the room to put your waterer and feed below it...VOILA! MORE ROOM IN THE COOP!
wee.gif

Regarding that wire floor. Just in case you didn't know...wire on chickens' feet is horrible not to mention constantly uncomfortable. You will also run the risk of an injury to the foot pad and there ya go...bumblefoot, and you don't want that!

All the best....and please DO post pics....can't wait to see!!

Last edited:
If you need any help figuring out that roost/poop tray setup, give me a holler. I should be home from church by noon or so. Don't be alarmed by the price on the PDZ. It is a bit expensive, but it lasts forEVER. Plus it makes your coop smell real good, too!

we weren't expecting them to be down on the mesh much. this is what we've done so far. we are going to install windows now, because the ventilation is horrible. and natural sunlight is good

we weren't expecting them to be down on the mesh much. this is what we've done so far. we are going to install windows now, because the ventilation is horrible. and natural sunlight is good

Yes, more ventilation for sure! I'd put small ventilation windows up under the peaks of your roof line front and back at the very least.

WOW!! What a dramatic change already...bravo! Now that you've taken those dividers out of those right-side nesting boxes, do you realize you have the "makings" of a great roost bar/poop tray setup right there in front of you??? Take and clean out that tray and replace with some Sweet PDZ granular (pic below of it), then put an upright in the center of the one end (by the doorway) and put a sturdy 2 x 4, flat side up and run it down that side, hook it to the wall...voila! Instant roost/poop tray and you've freed up all that center space to boot!

Than what you could do is move your feeder and waterer down under the roost! Wow! What a great little setup you'll have now!

NOTE: Two types are shown in this pic...you want the GRANULAR one.

Post more pics as you progress....YAY!
wee.gif

Back
Top Bottom