Chickens can't seem to get back into coop at night.

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Azazan, Feb 11, 2019.

1. Azazan

Azazan In the Brooder

Jan 8, 2019
    So, My 5 chickens are in a coop next to the sheeps tables. When I just got them, I kept them in the sheep stables, then moved them to the coop. I closed off the access to the stables with some fencing. I cant lock off the stables cause then the sheep wouldnt be able to get in anymore.

Recently we noticed them getting over the fence(by then we had them locked off for a few weeks so, it was fine for me. They roam the pasture and do chicken stuff. When it gets dusk, They try to get back over the fence, but unlike getting out, they don't seem to get how to get back in.

I can not just remove the fencing, cause then the sheep would be able to get to the chicken feed. I made a whole in the fencing at one point but since we have ouessant sheep(smallest race in the world), our chickens are almost as large as the sheep are so the sheep could get in easily.

When it gets dark, the automatic coopdoor closes and they stop trying and head to the barn.

I clipped their wings, but to no avail, they get out anyway, besides i want them to get out on the pasture, just need them to somehow get back in

I would love to hear your suggestions!

2. Perris

Perris Songster

Jan 28, 2018
    Gower, Wales
    they are trying to return to the home they know (chickens coming home to roost). You need to lock them in the coop for a day or two to retrain them where home is, then they will return there instead.

3. Hen Pen Jem

Hen Pen Jem Crowing

Sep 19, 2017
    Southern California
    A light in the coop may also help to draw them in. My chickens return to the coop area, but will mill about, until the coop light turns on. Then, they march into the coop.

lamp light.gif

God Bless :)

LittleCheepers likes this.
  4. Alaskan

Alaskan The Frosted Flake

I would pick a time in the evening that works for you..

Pen up the sheep, open the gate to the chicken run and coop.

Call the chickens, shake their treat can, and sprinkle out a bit of scratch ... with the bulk of the treat being tossed into their coop.

All chickens in coop, lock door.

The first night might take you some time, if they haven't been treat trained.

Note: pick a treat noise and call etc. That is VASTLY different from whatever you use to call your sheep.

But soon they will dash into that coop when you call them in 30 seconds tops.

Shadrach likes this.
  5. The Lazy L

The Lazy L Songster

Dec 16, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    I 100% agree.

6. Azazan

Azazan In the Brooder

Jan 8, 2019
    I did this for a few weeks actually, To me it seems more like they cant ind their way back once they get over the fence, and once its dark, they give up,and roost in the stables

7. Azazan

Azazan In the Brooder

Jan 8, 2019
    Any suggestions if i dont hve electricity at the coop?

8. Azazan

Azazan In the Brooder

Jan 8, 2019

I wish this was an option, i work night shifts so leave from 7 pm to 7 am.. i could ask my significant other, but the pasture is a few miles from the house so i doubt she'll do that

9. Alaskan

Alaskan The Frosted Flake

5 PM is a good close up time.

10. Hen Pen Jem

Hen Pen Jem Crowing

Sep 19, 2017
    Southern California
    I use a solar charged shed lamp, but, it has to be turned off. Since you are not home to do that, this is not a good option. You may be able to find a solar light with a timer.

However, I once used a red battery run, candle. It had a low light illumination, but the chickens seemed comforted by it. I put one at the door, and one on the perch. They took to the light, immediately. I left it on all night. Only needed it for few weeks. Eventually, they realized the coop was home, and safe.

Now, you can find them on Amazon with a remote control, and/or timer! How convienent is that? Unscented is best, the one below is unscented.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078XNZWHN/?tag=backy-20

[​IMG]

Well, it's something to try. If they don't work, you can always use them in the house, for a relaxing atmosphere. :idunno

God Bless :)

Perris likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: