Chickens carrying the barred gene

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by pkw, Dec 27, 2010.

1. pkw

pkw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2010
    North Edwards, CA
    If you have a chicken that is carrying the barred gene, will it always produce barred chicks? I don't have barred rocks but I hatched out some chicks last month that does indeed have the barred gene (people here on byc has told me the daddy is most likely my white orpington rooster).

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Those people are right then. [​IMG] White can hide a lot of colors including barring. . .

But, yes, if one is barred it, will pass on. Barring is very dominant, and even a bird with one allele can still pass on the 50% chance barring to the offspring. Sometimes you don't even notice it in the parent, but the key is to look in the tail or saddle feathers of the male, and in the female the most obvious is the white dot on the head it had as a chick.

3. riverman

riverman Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2010
    Central Tx
    Soo Illia, If my Barred Rock Roo & Whitish EE's eggs hatch the chicky's will have a 50% chance of being barred? Or lowered chance because the mother is white?

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

More than once, out of my Blue Orp rooster over one of his ladies, a RIR/Buff Orpington hen out of exhibition stock, we got a completely barred chick. Looked just like a black sexlink cockerel. It was quite a shocker. All other eggs in there were from my Ameraucanas so there was no mistake what egg he hatched from.

5. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Quote:Is the roo you are talking about the on you PMed the pic of to me ? If so then he is Het Barred so only 50% of his offspring will be barred and then about half of them should be the "ghost barred " color that we were talking about.

6. tadkerson

tadkerson Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    Missouri
    Quote:All of the chicks will carry at least one barring gene and be barred. It depends on the genetic makeup of the whitish bird if the birds will show the barring. The female is an easter egger so her genome (genes in her) could be just about anything.

Tim

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by