Chickens/Cat Door

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by ShaunaCH, Jun 13, 2011.

1. ShaunaCH

ShaunaCH Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2011
    San Diego
    Do you think when we get our chickens, they might try to use the cat door that goes into our house? Especially since that's where the cat's food is kept - right on the inside of the cat door. I hadn't thought of this at all earlier, but now it's popped into my head that maybe they will try to use it especially if they see the cats going in and out. what do you all think???

-Shauna

Last edited: Jun 13, 2011
  2. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    It is always possible...I have had mine try to sneak in the screen door when it did close fast enough. And they have no problem walking in the front door when it is open. LOL

3. sawmane1

sawmane1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2011
    Mcminnville, Oregon
    well, if you have a verry smart chicken and you leave the thing open they probably will. but if your cat has to push thruogh the door than chances are alot less likely they will break in.

4. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    Chickens aren't as likely to push through a cat door unless it is only thin plastic and soft. Although chickens are very individual in their personalities and may learn how to do so without getting hurt. But if one gets a slight pinch they won't try it again.
    If it is more cloth like material you will get visitors. Mine push past soft material all the time getting back in hiding places to lay eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by