Chickens cause UTI's in humans, say CDC

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ChickChickChicky, Mar 20, 2012.

1. ChickChickChicky

ChickChickChicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2011
    Greater Kansas City, MO
    "Chickens may be ultimately to blame for the majority of urinary tract infections in the U.S., according to new research conducted by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
    Researchers have long believed that urinary tract infections (UTI) were caused by E. coli bacteria in a person’s own gastrointestinal tract.
    But after analyzing genomes of the bacteria in women with UTIs, the study’s authors found that the strains of E. coli in the women matched strains of E. coli found in retail chicken meat. According to the researchers, the bacteria did not come from any contamination during the preparation process, but from the chicken itself."

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/health/2012/03/20/chickens-possible-cause-urinary-tract-infections/#ixzz1pgESaCoZ

2. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    Really? And just how is this bacteria from the exterior of the chicken getting into the urinary tract?

Wait. Don't tell me. I don't want to know.

3. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX

LOL. But still I wondered the same thing.

4. ignatz

ignatz Out Of The Brooder

Mar 8, 2012
    Nunya
    Yyyyyeeeeaaahhhh, ookay. Just like a government controlled alphabet soup group - scare tactics with lots of 'may's', 'possible's', 'could's' ad nausea. When all the women I know start getting these 'UTI's' from all the chicken we eat (and have eaten throughout our 30 to 50+ years), I'll believe it. Until then the CDC gets nothing but my scorn for this one (and many of its others).

1 person likes this.
  5. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

Don't Vegans get UTIs....????

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

CDC must stand for Certified Dumb Clucks. Good grief, what a load of hogwash!

7. dfr1973

dfr1973 Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Nov 20, 2011
    rural central FL
    Lack of proper handwashing.

8. gickelvolk

gickelvolk Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2011
    Nebraska
  9. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Hogwash!

10. coberdor

coberdor Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2008
    Norton, Ohio
    The article states that this is retail chicken, which means battery hens in crowded conditions. This is why they invented the red slime to add to beef to kill the E coli that exists because of the overcrowded conditions in the feed lots and slaughter houses. Studies have shown that animals raised in healthy non-crowded conditions do not have nearly the problems with these types of bacteria as the commercial industry animals.

Bacteria enters through a variety of methods, poor hand sanitation and poor hygiene in people when relieving themselves, especially in women who after a BM will wipe back to front, causing fecal matter to enter the urethra.

Yes, vegans can get it because people who handle and harvest fruits and vegetables often do not have adequate access to proper sanitation.

Actually, it was bold of the CDC to say anything against big industry. They often will not. Look at the arsenic that was being added to commercial poultry feed to kill the bacteria in the gut so they would get bigger in less amount of time. Everyone kept complaining to the CDC about this and the FDA, only to be told that all of the arsenic was being voided on the chickens elimination. Then upon the insistence of some people and independent labs, they finally came out last year with the truth that there was indeed arsenic in commercial chicken. They add Roxarsone. This is added to their feed.

Unfortunately, the CDC will not say anything soon enough because of big industry. I'm a DES daughter, who has had cancer 3 times because the CDC would not do anything, even when studies had shown that the DES (Diethylstilbestrol) being given to pregnant women in the 40's, 50's and 60's was causing cancer in their offspring, particularly women. DES is a synthetic estrogen, so it puts DES daughters at risk for all reproductive cancers. The CDC finally this year (over 60 years later), stated that we were also high risk for breast, uterine and ovarian cancers. Previously it was only cervical and vaginal. The drug companies and their profits were obviously more important than millions of women who were exposed to this. When I got cancer the second time, my doctor inquired about my mother's dosage from her doctor and all of my mother's records had been destroyed. There had been a class action lawsuit against the drug company in the early 70's, so all evidence was destroyed by the medical community. I had to start going to an OB/GYN at the age of 12 to be checked for cancer every 6 mos. All of my cancers was one of the reasons I got back into raising my own eggs, chickens and turkeys. I was told by my oncologist to try and eat organically, especially any animal bi-products.

The public needs to be made aware that this is the commercial industry's poultry that this high incidence of E coli, just like the beef industry!

4 people like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by